1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Pirate

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Elia, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello all,

this is my latest project, a pirate a friend asked me to sculpt for him. The pose is fixed and next will come the clothing.

Comments are welcome.

All the best,
    Elia :)

front.jpg back.jpg right-profile.jpg left-profile.jpg
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looking in with interest Elia.
    Good start so far.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  3. recastingspecialties Member

England
    Proportions are so important. I never buy a figure no matter how detailed with the slightest imperfection in proportion. nice start. cheers
  4. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Thank you for your feedback, Keith & Recastingspecialties.

To my mind a successful sculpture is a result of many things (interesting pose, correct proportions etc.) but it all depends on what your aim is: sometimes a pose & proportions need to be exaggerated for expressiveness' sake - but this is on purpose and has to be carefully done (one needs to know the rules very well in order to break them).

In regards to mini sculpting I guess that naturalism is the norm and that's fine. I don't think cramming a miniature with details necessarily improves it. Sometimes a few suggestive details can be enough: I realized this when looking at the initial sculpture of my Gordon Highlander - I had sculpted too many folds in the arms and it looked too busy.

I'm working on the clothing now - I'll post more pictures as the figure progresses.

All the best,
    Jamie Stokes likes this.
  5. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello everyone,

yesterday I started sculpting the clothing. There's still a long way to go as there are lots of things to add: belt, shoes, coat etc. not to mention arms!

As always, feedback is appreciated. Have a good week!

All the best,

Attached Files:

6. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Elia,
    so far, looks good..
    I agree with your comment, sometimes less is more, as more is too much!!

What clay/ putty are you using?

Cheers
    Jamie
  7. Elia Active Member

Greece
    Hello Jamie.

Thank you for your comment. I'm using Chavant Le Beau Touché.

All the best,