1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pirate Fury by Landrotten Highlander

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Landrotten Highlander, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    this is my latest completed bust. The picture has been take with a phone, I need new batteries for my camera, then will post more pictures.

I appreciate any constructive critisism other than a 'well done'

Slainte
    L.H.

20901441_2026585677367452_1237302234980200208_o.jpg
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I will wait for the new pictures to comment.

Marc
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Really hard to tell from the pic mate TBH, it looks a bit washed out but that might be the pic
    Steve
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi LH

Nice choice of bust to paint

Be good to see the new pictures when you can as its difficult to see or say anything from this one

Nap
  5. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    I don't know if it's the photo, but it does look palid in this pic. My advice for what it's worth is to use the highlighting and shading to bring out the depth of the sculpt. The sculpting is great, enjoy experimenting
    With various textures.

Best wishes, Gary.
  6. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    thanks for looking in, and the initial thoughts.
    The problem lies in the picture, not the figure I think - somehow everything is washed out.
    Below pictures I took under natural light with my camera. More shine than I expected, not sure what causes this.

I painted this in Winston&Newton oils ofer Scale75 base layer.
    I used only 6 different oil colours:
    Ivory Black
    Gold Ochre
    Cadmium Red
    Titanium White
    Cadmium Yellow Pale
    Ultramarine (Green Shade)

Pirate01.JPG Pirate02.JPG Pirate03.JPG Pirate04.JPG Pirate05.JPG Pirate06.JPG Pirate07.JPG Pirate08.JPG Pirate09.JPG

somehow the shading on these pictures is less then what my eye sees. I also appreciate any help you can give in correctly photographing these figures.
    Looking forward to your thoughts
    L.H.
  7. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    That looks better, the glossy look is a problem but that happens a lot with oils. You might be able to solve it by painting a sepia wash over the whole thing ? With the camera lens being far more sensitive than your eye I think the only answer is to keep taking pictures as you're painting to see where you are going wrong :(. It seems you can paint to display or paint to photograph not both.

Best wishes, Gary.
  8. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

billyturnip likes this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Good Job!

Cheers