1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pirate bust

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Magnus, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Magnus A Fixture

Hi!
    Started sculpting a pirate bust in 1/10. Body sculpted with Super Sculpey Firm, hat with Magic Sculpt and A+B.
    Feedback highly appreciated, best way to learn ;)

[IMG]
    Wings5797 and captnenglish like this.
  2. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    After seeing your viking I will wait with interest what you will make here. The beginning looks good
    captnenglish likes this.
  3. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Please post more pictures. Certain thing to consider is to move eyes a bit higher, that will elongate the nose slighty, at the moment its has a "leprechauny" feel where everything is pulled to the centre. Is the nose crooked for a reason ? as nostrils seem uneven.
    Without profile pic its hard to tell - but may be a little more volume in the chest - where latissimus dorsi should be ( unless is a cut of the bust).
    Abdominal musles seem to have a tilt in mid section, but body posture implies straight torso ?

Rest (and overall vibe from it) is looking pretty good.

Attached Files:

4. Nap Moderator

England
    Following this with interest ..amazes me how you talented sculptors create things

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    captnenglish likes this.
  5. Magnus A Fixture

Thank you everybody and especially Gaudin for tanking your time and sharing your knowledge. Your Roman Gladiator is one of the best upper bodys I have seen in sculpture.

Attaching some more picture from different angles (haven't had time to do any adjustments yet).

Will it be enough to raise the eyes or will there be too little in the head? i.e. should I raise the hat as well?

I tried to go for a turned torso from a classic sculpture (Venus de Milo) to practice anatomy so your input is very educating and highly appreciated.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  6. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I see, makes sense now.

I would chop forehead off and lift eyes ( that means the hat can sit lower, or you can lift it if you want). Move ear and add a little to jaw line.

He will need a longer neck and I'd say longer chest/ smaller abdominal muscles.

See if this diagram makes sense, I am sorry its a hasty 5 min sketch .PM me if you need

Attached Files:

7. Magnus A Fixture

Awesome, will work on it during the weekend. Thanks a million!
  8. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I actually like the face. Is it a pretty face? No, but it has character. Just my non-sculptor opinion.
    Gaudin likes this.
  9. Magnus A Fixture

Ok, got exited and threw on some more sculpey. He became quite bulky but that can be sanded tomorrow when hardened. Tips and suggestions? Hows the anatomy, better or worse?

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am slightly confused with types of clay you are using, it looks like new addition is Magic , if it needs to harden till tomorrow. Stick to thermal clays till you get volumes right, they allow endless time you can play with.
  11. Magnus A Fixture

I like booth types of sculpey, the figure was sculpted with Super Sculpey Firm but I was to quick to bake it ;) The added clay is Magic Sculpt due to it sticks better to other materials and that I have a hard time getting a smooth joint between baked/unbaked super sculpey.
  12. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ah....I see. Been there ;)
    Johnson's baby oil shall set you free :) this stuff, used in moderation, softens sculpey and you can blend layers with a brush. Another useful thing to invest in is Sculpeys own adhesive. I get it from Hobby craft, but i am sure online is cheaper. It welds new and old layers together when you bake
  13. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Magnus, not criticising what you are doing, just a suggestion, get yourself a good anatomy book. they are not expensive and are easily avaliable on Amazon. The ones I would recommend are by Jeno Barcsay and Paul Richer. Hope this is useful:).
    Best wishes, Gary.