1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

"piper bill", 86, passes

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by TWOMOONS, Aug 21, 2010.

1. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Bill Millin, who courageously played "Highland Laddie" on D-Day leading his comrades into battle, passed away in Torbay, England, his family said.
    Bill was 21 years old at the time, and defied enemy fire at the time while his friends and unit members were falling all around him.
    He was unarmed and was asked by Lord Lovat to disregard the rules banning the playing of bagpipes in battle and requested he should play to rally the troops as they went ashore on Sword Beach. He became known as "Piper Bill".
    Millin was born in Glasgow and saw his action immortalized in the film "The Longest Day".
    ...if this isn't inspiration for a figure and a tribute mini, I don't know what is.
    Thank you, Bill.
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Indeed it is ~
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Good call Phil
    Regards
    Derek
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I posted this in another thread, I am really surprised this isn't bigger news in our community!
  5. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    I read it in a local paper, got up from the table and did no research on other threads, and immediately posted it here...sorry, I missed yours...
    I immediately wanted to share the info about this stirring act of bravery.
  6. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Not my point. My point was that I am surprise this isn't all the buzz on all of the figure sites given the popularity of WWII subjects in general and DDay in particular. So no apologize needed.
  7. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    I didn't think you were asking for an apology Matt...but I felt I should.
    I agree...it's hard to fathom how or why a WWII interest-heavy website isn't all over this.
    It received no TV reporting either, as I can tell. At least I didn't see any...and i have it on all day in my present situation.
    As this generation passes, and there are less and less of these heroes left with us, it mystifies me..
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Bill,
    My thanks to you for your service and R.I.P.
    John