1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

PIOTREC cossack online course thread

Discussion in 'Workshop with Fer' started by Fernando Ruiz, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Piotr's thread.
    Regards
    FeR
  2. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Hi all!

When still waiting for the package arrival I decided to write some history introduction to my version of the Cossack miniature.

Since I am Polish I do not have to look far.

My figure will represent the soldier from the Cossack's camp during the battle near Kumeiky, dated on December 16th, 1637. It was the battle between Ukrainian peasants and Cossacks against Polish nobility.

In the summer of 1637 Pavlo Pavliuk (Zaporozhian Cossack leader) led anti-polish revolt of Zaporozhian Cossacks. The uprising had its culmination point near Ukrainian village Kumeiky, when Polish forces led by Hetman Mikołaj Potocki engaged the Ukrainians. The polish victory ended the rebellion, and the battle was called one of the blodiest overall polish-cossack battles.
    Fernando Ruiz likes this.
  3. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    A nice idea!
    Regards
    FeR
  4. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Still awaiting for the figure, but in meantime I am working on the base from scratch. It is almost done, just can not decide what kind of finish should I use, satin or gloss?
    Any suggestions guys?
  5. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    What are you using to finish the base? I use wipe on poly for small things. I will do a lot of gloss coats and then finish with a single satin layer. So you could do the glossy finish and if you decide you like it, leave it. If not, put the final satin coat on..
  6. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    I imagine that you're talking about the wooden base, aren't you? I prefer them not very glossy, but it depends on the kind of wood also. Can you show a pic?
    Regards
    FeR
  7. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Indeed it is a pine wood base. I will use some fast-drying polyurethane finish on it.
    Cossack-course_01.jpg
  8. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    One more picture with my first sculpt ever :), for the scenery. It is a hollow tree trunk.
    Cossack-course_02.jpg
    gordy likes this.
  9. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    The trunk is a very nice touch! Well done. Nice base too. In my opinion, both a gloss or satin finish will do.
    Regards
    FeR
  10. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    I am still behind, but no worries I will catch up.
    My figure is ready for priming. But before I do that I want to prepare the ground. I found three option and can not decide which one should I pick. Hopefully you will help me to decide.
    Cossack-course_03.jpg Cossack-course_04.jpg Cossack-course_05.jpg
    I am leaning toward nr 1 and 3.
    If you have any other ideas, just go ahead and point it out.
  11. toy4x4 Active Member

United-States
    Yes, 1 or 3 and I lean toward 3
  12. Patrick Kamsma Active Member

Netherlands
    Definitly 3.
    Puts all the focus on your figure instead of the log.

Grtz
    Patrick
    Andrew Craft likes this.
  13. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Completelly agreed.
    FeR
  14. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. Number 3 it is. Now it's time to lay down some sculptamold :)
  15. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    The ground layout is finished. Later on I will add some grass and leaves.
    Cossack-course_06.jpg Cossack-course_07.jpg

Next step is prime the figure :)
    Fernando Ruiz and pmfs like this.
  16. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    I like it!
    Regards
    FeR
  17. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    Thank you Fernando.
  18. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    I think my figure is ready for blending and "polishing". This is how it looks.
    Cossack-course_08.jpg
    Just let me know if there is anything that needs to be corrected before I start next step.
  19. Fernando Ruiz Well-Known Member

Spain
    Well, it's just a start. I'd better say sometihng when you have done a bit more work. Keep in mind that the forehead needs a lot of smoothing and not so dark shadows ;)
    Regards
    FeR
  20. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    It seems like I am falling well behind. I had to strip the paint and start over again.
    The blending process is quite difficult. Definately much more complex than I thought it could be.
    I still work on the flesh tone and there is some progress but I will not move to the next step untill I achieve the result I am pleased with.

This is just a notice that I am still here and participate.