Completed Pintaius, Signifer 5th Cohort Asturian Auxillary, Foxwood Studios 1/9th scale bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 14, 2012.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I've finished painting this magnificently sculpted (and very large) bust produced by Foxwood Studios, almost a year since I started on it.:eek:

I have modified the bust considerably to try and make it more historically accurate for Pintaius, a Signifer of the 5th Asturian auxillary cohort serving in Germania in 1st Century AD.

Unlike Signifers in the legions, it seems auxillary signifers removed the face of the animal skin worn over their helmet. I chose to do the same, and changed the animal skin from a wolf to a lion, by changing the shape of the ears after I removed the snout.

I replaced the signum shaft with a wooden barbeque skewer and added the twisted green tassels out of fuse wire.

Finally I chose the leave off the left arm entirely, as I didn't think it was needed.

Thanks to Harry and Mike Wilkinson for their help with the historical inspiration and references on my WIP thread, and for everyone who commented and gave me encouragement to keep going.(y)

I hope you like it.

Attached Files:

crf, mil-mart, Steve Riley and 12 others like this.
  2. sam b Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Re: Pintaius, Signifer 5th Cohort Asturian Auxillary, Foxwood Studios 1/9th scale bus

Well done Tony !! It was worth the wait mate (y)
    Sam
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Re: Pintaius, Signifer 5th Cohort Asturian Auxillary, Foxwood Studios 1/9th scale bus

As good as expected Tony.
    Well done on a very dramatic and eyecatching piece.
    Cheers
    Derek
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands

Perfect work on this bust.
    Like every little detail of it.

marc
  5. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Looks good Tony
    You have certainly made this one your own (y)

Ron
  6. Mark S Guest

Nice work, Tony.
    Great result as always.
  7. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States

Tony,
    Nicely done.
    Cheers
    John
  8. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia

Good work on the figure Tony,
    always good to see some one willing to put in the ground work to research, check and change a figure if necessary!!

Cheers
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia

Hi Sam, Derek, Marc, Ron, Mark, John and Jamie - thanks guys. I appreciate your comments.(y)
  10. BobLff257 A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Really good Tony, well done mate. Bags of character.

Rob
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia

Thanks Rob.(y)
  12. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Well done Tony!

:)
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia

Thanks Mark.
  14. sarouman A Fixture

Greece

Tony my friend very nice work!!!!:):notworthy:

Alexandros(y)
  15. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Great finish Tony.
    Carl.(y)
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia

Hi Alexandros, thanks mate. I always appreciate your encouragement.

Carl, me ol' China Plate, thanks for setting me up with this bust in the first place mate.(y)(y)(y) I'm pleased you like the way its turned out. Now all I need is some way to mount it on a base and get it to fit inside my display cabinet.o_O