1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique "Pinned Like Rats" - The defence of Rorke's Drift

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Feb 22, 2014.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Keith, I think asking about Richie's "sack shrinkage" is getting a little personal... No matter how much you think you need to know that... it's rude to ask :whistle:

Richie, I still am amazed at how fast you're churning out these conversions. I wish I had your focus, I just can't seem to get my head in the game like this.

Colin
    Helm, baronband, Rich Sculpts and 3 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Colin when men get to a certain age these things become important and dementia allows you to get away with it.
    I did want to ask a question about the two Zulus prostate but thought better of it.
    Cheers,
    Keef
    Helm, prhayes68, ChaosCossack and 2 others like this.
  3. Mark S Guest

This is looking great Richie, very dynamic and dramatic even at this stage.
    Looking forward to the finished piece...it will no doubt be a stunner...more power to your arms mate!

P.S. Cold water shock effects us all,...no need to see it as a problem.:cool:
    Wings5797 likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    This is going to be a nice scene. Why not notch the base so it will interlock with the next piece as you complete the whole fight at the mission station. Go on, you know you want to. :)

Colin
    ChaosCossack and Wings5797 like this.
  5. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    It's getting quite exciting now,I can't wait till the paint goes on

Brian
  6. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Sorry a bit of age related Freudian typo.... I intended to say prostrate.:rolleyes:
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Immense stuff Richie stick at it mate (y)
    Steve
  8. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Chris, Keith, Colin, Mark, Brian and Steve,
    Apologies for the late reply lads, been under the weather for just over a week and still working so a bit tired. Still it has not stopped me totally. Last Tuesday I went to pick up my base from Pete's Bases who will be at the Sword & Lance trading again this year, cheers Pete. It's a pity the base is going to be covered up as it is a lovely piece of reclaimed mahogany that is over 100 years old.

I have put the first layer of groundwork down (still more to do) of Das and sand and undercaoted this along with the wall. The mealie bags have been glued into position ready to be undercoated, when I get some new supplies of primer. Take no notice of the impression in the ground all will become clear later.

I am also working on the next four modified Zulu figures, so with a fair wind they should be up to the undercoat stage in a week.

One more thing I have modified is the shields - thanks for the kick Mark. The shields have always looked too stiff, rigid and thick, so I have taken my trusted grinder bit and set to on the first six. I have ground down the back of the shields and thinned down all the edges. To get some bend and creases into the shields, I put them into a warmed up ceramic baking dish at 180 degress in a fan assisted oven for approx. 15 to 20 seconds, bent them into shape and then immediately threw them into a dish of cold water to reset them. I kid ye not.:) You can see how stiff and thick the unmodified yellow shield looks next to the others.

cheers
    Richie
    CIMG6904.JPG CIMG6903.JPG
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello mate, was just passing through and spotted latest update..........Stunning work.....especially as you have been under the weather.
    You really do have a great feel for this period.....plus skills I envy :mad:
    Will keep popping back to follow this gorgeous piece and hope you are fully recovered soon (y)

Cheers

Ron
  10. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Those shields are looking great now, can't wait to see more.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Richie,
    I hope that you are feeling better now.
    Good work on the shields and the DAS ground work.
    I made a 200mm figure in DAS long ago and far away.....A place they used to call England. I found it a problem with shrinking and cracking, so that was pretty much the first and last time I used it. Do you suffer these these issues or have they changed the make up of DAS?
    Wish you well Mate,
    Keith
  12. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Looking good Richie. Those shields look very convincing. I thought you were slowing down. It had been a few days and another fifteen figures hadn't appeared :) Hope you're feeling better.

Peter
    Scotty likes this.
  13. Fokionas Well-Known Member

Greece
    I am pretty sure that we are going to talk for a long time about this stunning diorama.
    Like all the rest cant wait to see it finished!!!!
    Fokion
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron, John, Keith, Peter & Fokion,
    Thanks lads glad you like the shields, apologies for the late reply.

Keith mate, this is the first time I have used DAS and I suppose the rough way I used it I had no issues, I suppose it would be different if trying to sculpt figures with it.

Hi All,
    As promised I said I would update the post when I had a solution to the rounds issue. Firstly thank you to all those who put themselves out trying sort this issue. Thanks - Ron(y), Steve(y), Steve(y), Carl(y), Grant(y) and Mark(y).
    In the end I went with Mark's lead and ordered some 1/35 German 20mm shells, these are hard to get hold of and I got the last 2 packets from cornwall modelboats and have 8 on back order that will take approx. 2 months:(. At least it will stop me dropping them on the floor or going squirrels:dead::depressed::blackeye::arghh::grumpy: trying to make them.

Anyway here's how they look and a great solution.
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG6907.JPG CIMG6909.JPG CIMG6910.JPG CIMG6911.JPG CIMG6912.JPG

Attached Files:

15. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Wow, didn't realize they would look so good :) they certainly fit the scale look of the rounds....
    Are you bringing it along to Sword & lance so we can have a preview, would love to see it!!(y)
    Mark D ;)
  16. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the tip off;), if I can get all the figures up to the undercoat stage then yes I will bring it along.
    cheers
    Richie
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    They look the biz Richie,
    Are you planning to fill all of the ammunition boxes ;)
    I like the way that the one in the breech looks.
    Keep ploughing away Mate, it is really moving along at pace and looking superb.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  18. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    That was a good result mate, look very convincing when displayed next to the M-H rifle (y) plus they have helped preserve your sanity, or what's left anyway :rolleyes:
    Steve
    P.S just saw the shields, look much better (y)
  19. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This is going to be good Ritchie ,great idea re the sacks as keith says:rolleyes: did you leave the bandage on or just use it for texturing

Ron
  20. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mate
    The shells look awesome it's coming along fantastic keep at it mate great
    Cheers Chris