1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique "Pinned Like Rats" - The defence of Rorke's Drift

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Efforts are looking good. The double blow was certainly a doozy.

I hope you have one chap shouting "Don't throw those bloody spears at me!"
    Richie likes this.
  2. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very impressive so far. You are going along at one heck of a rate.

Mike
  3. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Coming along great Richie ,bloody work ain't it a pain lol ,
    Cheers Chris
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Anthony, Adrian, Mike & Chris,
    Thanks for for the continued support lads. I have managed to move this on a bit and have the next two figures ready. As I mentioned earlier I have decided to put Imperial Gallery's figure of Chard into the mix and I have raised the right arm into the firing position.
    The Zulu has been converted into the falling back position after being shot(he is not going to be shot by Chard though!), but I have just noticed I need to change the iBeshu. There's your homework for tonight.:D
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG6657.JPG CIMG6764.JPG CIMG6767.JPG CIMG6771.JPG CIMG6786.JPG CIMG6787.JPG CIMG6788.JPG CIMG6859.JPG CIMG6860.JPG CIMG6861.JPG CIMG6862.JPG CIMG6863.JPG CIMG6864.JPG
  5. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Richie,
    just one question mate…do you ever sleep?!!

John
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz yes - goodnight.
  7. Funky50 Guest

Brilliant Richie.........gives a really claustrophobic feel to the battle......Kevin
    Richie likes this.
  8. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    Hi Richie,

Your speed is commendable! The conversions are looking great. Are you going to have room for another 10+ figures???

Pete
    Richie likes this.
  9. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Just a thought, I know the guy who owns and runs the Zulu exhibition, he would love to ad your Dio to it when he next exhibits, that might be in South Africa at Roarkes Drift.
    Richie likes this.
  10. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Kevin,
    Thank you very much, that is the exact look I am trying to achieve.

Hi Pete,
    I seem to have the bit between my teeth at the minute and things are moving very well, things will slow down a bit, but I hope to have another two to the undercoat stage by the end of this weekend. I can assure you mate I have room for another 5 defenders inside the perimeter and another 4 Zulu's that includes the dead one on the floor that you can see in the photo's, hope to have him finished and a defender.

Hi Adrian,
    WOW my dio in South Africa would be something, I hope he's going next year because the speed I paint it will probably take that long.:D

Hi All,
    I have managed to get another attacking Zulu converted/undercoated and up to the mealie bag wall. I have tried to change the pose on this one even more and really have him on the front foot. I have also added bulk to the stomach area. So here's his position attacking the wall. I think once the groundwork is completed and the figures are pinned correctly I hope this raises the dynamics a touch more. The base width is going to be increased by about an inch.

I think I have a solution to the spent rounds dilema and have ordered something, when they arrive I will update and let you know. Thanks Mark for the heads up on this one mate, it will be just the job I think.(y)

cheers
    Richie

CIMG6865.JPG CIMG6866.JPG CIMG6867.JPG CIMG6868.JPG CIMG6869.JPG CIMG6870.JPG CIMG6871.JPG CIMG6872.JPG CIMG6873.JPG CIMG6874.JPG
    Braemp, ChaosCossack and prhayes68 like this.
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Its really taking shape now mate,youre working really fast as well which I'm surprised at,ive just noticed another Zulu regiment on the heights - North wall - Independent Fire :ROFLMAO:
  12. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

When you get close, I'll put you both in touch, we had it originally at the London Film Museum...the opening had the Producers widow, the last few existing members of the cast and Chief Boutelasie's cousin (A Zulu Prince)...in fact Boutelasie will be interviewed and is very much wanting to get the exhibition to Isandlawahla.

Get painting man!!
  13. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Fantastic progress Richie,
    These figures are brilliantly posed and positioned in the proportionately small space. This will really be an eye catcher Mate. I hope that I get to see it in the flesh at sometime.
    Just one question, I have looked through all of the Zulu books you gave me and cannot see any reference to the Zulus having these tall stainless shako's
    [IMG]
    Keep up the fine work Mate.
    All the best,
    Keith
  14. Adrian Cowdry Well-Known Member

Not the Producers widow - the directors widow.
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith,
    Sorry for being so slow:blackeye:, I'm not going to make anymore metal shako's too much sanding to get them uniform.:ROFLMAO: I'll just stick with the isiCoco.:)

Hi All,
    I've had a very productive day. The dead Zulu is ready to clean down and undercoat tomorrow, so that is six done ready for the painting stage. I have also roughed out poses for another four Zulu's and an additional defender, if I can fit him in. Today I have finished a 24th figure in shirt sleeve order firing a Martini Henry.
    This was one of the most difficult poses I have made as trying to get the correct firing postion was not easy. In the end I sculpted the trigger hand onto one of Reedees Miniatures Martini Henry's first to get the correct position and then sculpted the arms etc to suit. It may look an easy position but it is quite difficult, well it was for me. The hand is not fixed as I want to remove the Martini for painting.
    He is now the figure next to Chard shooting the Zulu. I have also moved the position of Chard's head as it was not right for the firing position.
    I have also split a few of the mealie bags and I will sort the mealies running out later on.
    cheers
    Richie
    CIMG6777.JPG CIMG6778.JPG CIMG6779.JPG CIMG6879.JPG CIMG6880.JPG CIMG6881.JPG CIMG6882.JPG CIMG6883.JPG CIMG6884.JPG
  16. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    This is really exiting watching this grow Mate,
    It must be quite a marathon for you but you are holding up well.
    Keep 'em coming.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    Richie likes this.
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    I have managed to get the dead Zulu laid on the floor finished to the undercoat stage. I have also left the one in and his position on the wall I currently working on. He has just taken one of Chard's rounds to the head.
    Hopefully I will have my new base on Tuesday courtesy of Pete's Bases, so I can start and fix a few things and get on with the groundwork. I also need to alter the mealie bag wall, now it's dried out and settled it has reduced in height, I will either do this this by banking up the ground underneath or another row of bags:X3:.

cheers
    Richie
    CIMG6885.JPG CIMG6886.JPG CIMG6887.JPG CIMG6888.JPG
    Tarracus, Funky50 and ChaosCossack like this.
  19. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie
    Mate that's coming on fantastic I really love the way you have created in a small space by clever positioning of the figures that great sense of controlled desperation which would have been the case when the battle got to that stage .
    The SWB area each fig tells a little story awesome well done mate .
    Cheers Chris
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good progress Mate,
    Like Taff I think that your master plan for positioning the figures is brilliant. Lines of fire and action are all very well calculated and work perfectly.
    Sorry to hear about the sack shrinkage. Was it so much that you can add another row?
    Really looking forward to the 'Pukka' base making an appearance this week.
    All the best,
    Keith