1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Pilots WWII

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mark Dollery, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys, Start of a new WIP on two WWII Pilots, first up is Sang Eon Lee's (Life Miniatures) British Pilot 1940 & finishing the face & hands. I am using Vallejo Model colours at the moment with a bit of retarder & flow enhancer, I have attempted to portray the youthfulness of the young British Pilots at that time.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The next up is the Youngs Flying Tiger bust which I have tried to put a bit of roughness into the facial features,

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

That's the start of them, let me know what you think, always open to comments,
    Mark D ;)
    Steve, TOMs2Na, theBaron and 16 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Mark!

I like the smooth of the flesh tones but particularly like more the 1st. Very well done my friend.
    Pedro.
  3. caramba Well-Known Member

Poland
    looking good so far
    M.
    Gijs likes this.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Impressive start Mark.(y)
  5. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    i to like the smooth colour flow on the faces to, when you use the retarder and enhancer are you using like an oil paint or still doing a layering style?

cheers zane
  6. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good so far Mark , very subtle skin tones.

Cheers David
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I think you are well on your way on both counts (y)!

Joe
  8. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments guys, sounds like I'm am heading in the right direction!:)
    Zane, I am using the layering technique but blending the edges when I can between the colours with the retarder working well.
    Trying to keep the transitions subtle without being too tight with colour.
    I will see where this takes me...o_O
    regards
    Mark D ;)
  9. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    well i can see there is quite a few hours in those faces already, i will follow this with interest.

zane
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice Mark, you've achieved a very natural look without going too extreme on the contrast. Following with interest.
  11. Funky50 Guest

Really nice subtle flesh tones on both busts nice to see when done with restraint .....well done so far ...Kevin
  12. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Very good start. Natural flesh tones that look quite nice. Look forward to seeing more progress from you on these two busts.
  13. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good - I think you are capturing the different character of the two pilots very well.
    Cheers
    Mat
  14. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mark
    Love the art work on both figures so distinctly different and you have really started to pull of the different faces youth and rough it up flying tiger .
    Will be following this with great interest
    Fantastic job so far
    Cheers Chris
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very impressive start mark,this looks a great bust and I've only seen the box art version painted so far so I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished
  16. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Great skin tones!
  17. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Can only repeat what the others have said Mark, awesome work on the faces, but the first one is probably the best face I have seen done for a long time!

Absolutely beautiful work.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  18. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Gentlemen, thank you for the positives, I hope to get some more work done over the Easter weekend.
    Mark D ;)
  19. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Well here's a quick update guys, looking for advice on the RAF tunic 'Blue' & has anyone got any tips on the goggle glass painting o_O...I'm stumped!!!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

regards
    Mark D ;)
    Gambler likes this.
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent progress on both busts Mark.