1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

PiliPili 120mm Saxon Theign

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DaveCox, Feb 3, 2006.

1. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    In my opinion this is my best yet, I really enjoyed painting this one, no repaints or touchups, just went the way I wanted first time.
    Painted in oils over acrylic undercoats.

Your opinions and constructive criticism are welcome.

Attached Files:

2. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    another view:

Attached Files:

3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Dave, you did a very nice job, on a figure created by an excellent sculpter.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  4. Kyle Member

United-States
    That's very impressive. I learn a ton by watching excellent painters such as yourself. I particularly like the way you've made the cloak come alive. You've "teased up" the wool so it actually looks, well, wooly! :lol:

Kyle
  5. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the compliments guys

Kyle, the texture on the cloak is part of the casting - I can't take the credit for that!!
  6. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Looks good, Dave. I like the bird. Did that come with the kit?

It may be an effect of the photo, but some parts look rather shiny?

What's wrong with touch ups and re-painting? :angry: :lol:

Keith
  7. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Keith, the raven and cross are part of the kit. Ther's nothing wrong with touchups - I'm just surprised that I managed a figure without needing them!
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave, Isn't it great when a projects comes together so easily? Nice job.~Gary
  9. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Hello Dave,

You did a great 'straight-out-of-the-box' job on this guy! (y)

My only gripe is that I've always imagined dark, muted tones for subjects from this period (it was called the Dark Ages after all :lol:). But perhaps I'm wrong. Anyhow, your brighter vision is refreshing for a change.

I like the realistic rendition of the stone cross and the raven. I've always found that the scenic base provided with the kit should be larger for an 'airier' composition but it had to fit in the box! :eek:

Just call it 'artistic license'.

Quang
  10. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for the comments.

Quang - regarding the colours - there are many documents (illustrated manuscripts so not entirely trustworthy) that show brighter colours being worn at this time in our history. Mainly I would think in imported materials from Europe or the Mediterranean. I just happen to have quite a few green figures and wanted this to stand out amongst them - it does too, pride of my collection. Having such a well sculpted & cast kit helped a lot!
  11. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Indeed, Dave!

Guess I've been watching my Erroll Flynn/Robin Hood DVD one time too many. :lol:

Q.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice painting Dave.

some colours look to bright and shiny. It maybe is the picture..
    Great work.

Marc
  13. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Nice job Dave, this is a figure I've always past up just because the box art never caught my attention. Now that I see some life to it, its on my list.
  14. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Lovely work indeed Dave. I also like it when it paints smoothly from start to finish. My only comment is the same as Marcs one... but maybe it's just the photo flash.

Xenofon
  15. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks again for any tips on improvement. I always have trouble with oils drying slightly glossy in places. For the leather parts I'll leave them as they are, but once the oils have fully cured ( a week or so) then I'll give the rest a coat of flat varnish.
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very, very nice painting Dave! ;)

Not my era of interest, but nonetheless I can appreciate the fine sculpting and excellent painting!

Will you post an update when you've put on the matte finish?

All the best,
    Dan