1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pili Pili Bust, Australian Lighthorse

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jan 4, 2009.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Happy New Year to you all.:D:D:D

This magnificent Pili Pili bust was a recent Christmas present from my wife, and I've been working on it on the relative cool of the night, because at the moment its too hot to paint during the day.

It's been 100 degrees or more for most of the past fortnight, and even with the air conditioner turned up full blast the acrylic paints dry too quickly in this heat.:cool::cool:

I haven't finished painting this bust yet, but I wanted to show you my progress so far. I still need to do some more highlighting on the uniform, the emu fathers and the slouch hat and give everything a dusting of pastels to kill the shine.

My apologise for the poor quality of the pics.:eek:

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent painting Tony.
  3. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Tony,
    Well done on the painting,its brought him to life,any chance of doing an NZMR bust?
    ;-).
    Andy
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Guy, not quite finished yet.

Thanks Andy, you sculpt him and I'll happily paint him for you.
  5. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent job on a great bust Tony. I knew you would have him on your work bench as soon as I saw the release.

I'll have to share your weather comments with my new neighbors, a lovely family of four from near Melbourne (Inverloch exactly) who are here on a 1 year teacher exchange. I've been trying to keep them warm in our -30degree Celsius winter since they arrived a week ago! This week....driving lessons on the correct ;) side of the road with ice! Should be fun.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Pilipili Lt Horse

Tony ,
    Looking good , shame about the pics like you said , but I like the fleshwork has the look of a very young soldier , proud of being in uniform //look forward to the next update .

Ref the weather ...100 degrees ..hot in Australia and then we have -30 in Canada , its snowing here ..at least 2 mm ..no doubt we will all come to a standstill!!!...mind you I suppose its peaceful painting late where you are !!!!!

Nap
  7. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Very good painting Tony and all the very best to you and yours for 2009!!

Ray ;)
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks very much for your kind comments Glenn, Nap and Ray:),

Canada sounds waaaaaaaaaaaay too cold for my liking.:eek::eek::eek: Please give my best wishes to your Aussie neighbours Glenn. It must be quite a culture shock to be living in -30C and having to drive on the wrong side of the road at the same time.:D

I'll post some more pics soon.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice work Tony, this really was designed with you in mind I think :) Was it a suprise from your wife or did you have a hand in it?

Roger
  10. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Hi Tony, I know when is hot is difficult to paint, in summer time I prefer go fishing..:D. Now in northern Italy is not so cold as in Canada .. but there is today -10 degrees.. is perfect to paint..:rolleyes:

The bust even if not my preferred period is a very great sculpt. and it seems you are doing a magnificent paint work.

Cheers Stefano
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work Tony,

Marc
  12. Mark S Guest

Tony,your work on this one is great!!
    When I first saw this bust,that is the original box art,I didn't like it at all.
    It appeared to me to be a caricature of a young Australian.
    But the way you have painted this face,it has brought a maturity and a look of a young person that's suddenly experienced war.
    You know that thousand yard stare you were after before.I reckon you may have got it.:)
  13. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work Tony! I've always had an interest in this piece, seeing this makes me want it even more. May have just moved up a couple notches on the ol' wish list! Keep cool!

Jay H.
    OKc
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Grand work on the bust, Tony! You really brought out both the youth and the pain somehow at the same time on that face. Wow!
    All the best,
    Dan
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Roger, Stefano, Marc, Mark, Jay and Dan,

Thank you all for your very supportive comments. Hopefully as I put the finishing touches to this bust over the next couple of nights I can bring out more of the character of this piece.

As most of you know, I'm a big fan of the Australian Lighthorse and I was extremely pleased to see Quang had sculpted such a wonderful bust of my favourite modelling subject.
  16. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Great painting Tony!
    I have just finished this one myself & really enjoyed painting it & the research.
    Here's mine
    Mark

Attached Files:

17. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice job Tony he is looking good so far mate,it must be a nightmare having to put up with all that nice warmth and not freezing your butt off,i really feel for you mate :) ,got to go now and snap the icicles off my fingers before i start painting LOL.

Steve
  18. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    Great looking. Send about 50 degrees Indianapolis way:)
    Cheers
    John
  19. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Sorry,
    Duplicate
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting a pic of your Lighthorseman bust. Well done mate, that's a fantastic job you've done.:)

Steve and John, I feel really really sorry for you poor "Northern Hemispherians" shivering away in your long, dark freezing cold winter. NOT:D:D:D What happened to global warming??????