1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Pilgrims Protector

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Helm, Jul 10, 2012.

1. Helm A Fixture

England
    I’d like to show you Steve Readdie’s latest a departure completely from his normal output. I was lucky enough to grab hold of one of his pre-release batch at Figure World

Pilgrims Protector is a rather nice 90mm Crusader figure which could be easily adapted to be anyone from the period 11150 - 1400 with very minimal work.

This is a pre-release version so no box art but on the official release there will be box artwork
    SAM_0311.JPG

It comes in a sturdy box that has a handy tab that lets you open it without major surgery either to yourself or the box! Inside the 12 parts are protected by a generous amount of foam packing

The head is a beaut, showing the tedium of a thankless watch in the heat

SAM_0325.JPG

I like the attention to detail on the coif showing the fastening and the quilted interior
    SAM_0326.JPG SAM_0327.JPG

It even comes with a separate helm which can either be worn on placed on the ground,. One slight snag is if he is wearing the helm he would have done the coif up I’d think but that would just require a bit of careful cutting and re-modelling on the chain to rectify or a Reeddees Miniatures range of alternate heads with further optional weapons heh but I digress ;)

The figure has minimal flash, pitting or clean up required, please note the right wrist peg isn’t a bit of sprue ! I nearly hacked it off before realising it fits his hand…. Hence the importance of dry runs :LOL:
    SAM_0321.JPG

All in all a great bit of kit and well worth a buy on release, I really hope we see more in this period and scale.

Steve
    Dawid and polyphemus like this.
  2. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I've had the pleasure of seeing this on the workbench and can confirm that its a really great figure, in fact I think its Steve's best work to date.
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I was hoping Steve would relese this one.
  4. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve a great review, I had a close look at this at Figureworld excellent sculpting and I'm sure this will be one of Steve's best sellers.

Cheers Ken
  5. Helm A Fixture

England
    Ta Ken TBF It's fairly easy to review a figure as nice as this one (y)
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks for the review, looks like another successful Reedees Miniature.
    By the way I think you should give this one to your wife to paint.;)
    cheers
    Richie
    billyturnip likes this.
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    lol having heard the swearing BEFORE she's started her first one I'll pass
  8. Helm A Fixture

England
    Just started to clean this up and it's a doddle to do very easy clean up! Nice one Steve (y)
  9. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Yes I saw this at the Figure World show and thought what a nice kit it was . Once my grey army has reduced a bit I'm going to add it to my must have list .
    chippy
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Would just like to add my opinion to the mix, absolute cracker! top marks to Steve for this one, lovely character to the face and some excellent details - might have to fight my son over who's going to paint it!!
    Steve(y)
  11. Mark S Guest

What scale would that be, Steve?
    And any chance of a clearer pic of the entire figure?....I can clearly read the label on your Douwe Egberts coffee jar but the figure itself remains a bit of a mystery.
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    Sorry it's 90mm and I'll sort out a pic, when I get back from work

Steve
  13. Helm A Fixture

England
    As asked for hopefully these are better and cos I'm just SUPAH nice even thrown in a helmet shot (fnaaaar fnaaaar) ;) SAM_0344.JPG SAM_0345.JPG SAM_0346.JPG

Any gaps mis-aligned bits etc is due to the putty not the figure,that goes together like watch parts. I've also added the scale into the original review

Steve
  14. Mark S Guest

Thanks, Steve these pics are much better.
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent piece from Steve, and thanks for going to the trouble to take the photos Steve.
    Carl.(y)
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    Thanks Mark, cheers Carl. I have an ulterior motive if enough people buy this kit Steve might release more :sneaky:

Steve
  17. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Steve many thanks for doing the review, the box art is being done at present so hope to have a release date some time soon.
    here are some more pictures of the figure.

All the best

Steve

DSC05024.JPG DSC05025.JPG DSC05026.JPG
    Helm likes this.
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great figure.
    He is on the list for Euro.

Marc
  19. Helm A Fixture

England
    Cheers Steve I'm even more pony with a camera than a brush :X3: