1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pilgrim on way to Santiago Compostila Spain

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bastian H., Sep 9, 2010.

1. Bastian H. Active Member

Germany
    Hello!
    This was another vignette of my first scrutch built attempts. A pilgrim on the long way to Santiago Compostila in Spain. Have a break.
    Some pictures from the first step to the hole vignette and some details like the apple and the little bird. Hope you like it.

Cheers,
    Bastian

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work. Love the addition of the bird.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Bastian.

Marc
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another great piece with excellent surroundings - (y)
  5. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Nice scene!

The correct spelling is Santiago de Com-pos-te-la derived from the latin: Campus Stellae, ground of stars.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    A lovely vignette Bastian.

Can you explain the significance of the sea shell on the cloak. In Roman times a clam shell was often used as a symbol for the Goddess Minerva, who represented birth and rebirth in funerals and religious ceremonies. I'm just wondering if this clam has similar religious significance or is just oramental?
  7. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Lovely little piece this my friend very nicely composed and completed.(y)
  8. clubcat Member

England
    I must say how much I have appreciated the work you have posted over the last few days. Each piece has been beautifully executed and this is no exception.

Congratulations Bastian

Melanie
  9. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Another beautiful piece Bastion.
    Carl.
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    great looking vignette Bastian and the figure and scenery look great together, i like the idea of the little tree growing horizontal out of the rock face, nice touch.

Steve(y)
  11. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very well done, Bastian:

To add the setting of terrain, a wall, a path, a leaf bearing tree, to this figure
    requires so much work and patience. . . And it all really does create that
    illusion of reality, that for me at least, is so hard to capture. I would be
    curious to know the amount of hours that you put into this project.

All your time, Bastian was certainly rewarded. I sense however, that the
    lighting for your very nice photographs, did somewhat wash out some of the
    earthtone colours.

Congratulations

Miami Jayhawk
  12. Coco New Member

Spain
    Hello!

The shell you see in the pilgrim's chest is, traditionally, an scallop shell.
    It is thought it was used as an aid for drinking at springs and fountains but also as a sign that make clear that the carrier was a pilgrim to Santiago... or that he was on its way back home. In medieval times, these pilgrims were offered help just for having the shell.

It is not so clear why this particular shell become the symbol of the pilgrims to Santiago (it has nothing to do with ancient Romans or mythology), but is well known that in the squares surrounding the cathedral there were a very large market of shells and also made of ivory, wood, etc. It was so important that the church had to regulate it, forbidding its sale outside the city and keeping one third of each transaction to themselves.

Saludos! Regards!
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Gracias Enrique,

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question about the scallop shell.
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bastian, a great little vignette very well sculpted and painted. Like it.(y)

Cheers Ken
  15. Bastian H. Active Member

Germany
    Many thanks to all of you. I am very happy to be here at planetFigure.
    Thanks Enrique for all the explanation on the shell. This widened my personal horizon, too.
    @Rick
    All the additions and surrounding are - we say in Germany - the salt in the soup. It could be a danger to overcrowed a vignette with to much details. But. I think this depends what kind of figure is presented.
    I love it to tell the visitor a short story with my vignettes. Therefore in this kind of tiny sceneries I often use also some details like little animals (e.g. a mouse, a bird or a hedgehog).
    I don't know how many hours I spent on this vignette. Surely a lot of hours, and I had a lot of fun.

Cheers,
    Bastian
  16. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello again, Bastian for taking time to explain about the time involved.
    I definitely agree that one has to be careful with vignettes and dioramas,
    as it is so critical where the elements are placed, and how many of them
    are on the base. Not easy to do, but your effort really is successful.

Miami Jayhawk