1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pigtail and backpack interference

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by maya8, Sep 18, 2013.

1. maya8 Member

Canada
    Hello,

I have a couple of figures, nicely sculpted, with separate backpacks. Their hair are tied hard in a pigtail at the back, e.g. British or French infantryman, around 1800-1804. At the time (correct me if I'm wrong), the pigtail tied in a 'sausage' would protect the neck (somewhat) against slashing saber cuts.

The sculptors didn't think about the interference between the upper part of the back pack and the solid molded pigtail. How should I make the ajustment? I never had long hair, but a pigtail like these guys had would annoy me supremely when turning my head left and right. I tried to adjust the height of the backpack, but it drops so low, it's ridiculous. Should the pigtail be thin down so that it disappears under the backpack?

Thanks,

Patrick
  2. Ferris A Fixture

Hm, I assume the boxart is no help here?

Maybe you could google pictures from reenactments, see how the reenactors solve this, and adjust your figures accordingly?

Just a thought, no experience with pigtails here!

Adrian
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Don't know much about the period but I would imagine that personal comfort had zero impact on dress regulations so the turning your head issue probably wouldn't feature I would guess that the queue went under the pack so as to look smarter on parade but possibly over the pack in other situations, I'm sure somebody else will answer you with more knowledge I'm speaking from the view of the military mindset here.
    Steve
    maya8 likes this.
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    The tail worn by Brits at that time is refered to as being "clubbed", there would be a sandbag or somthing to that effect that the hair would be wrapped around and then this would be waxed with tallow, lard or wax. You wouldn't want that between you and the backpack.
    I've had long hair on and off all my life, usually worn in a ponytail or in a braid when riding. If I wore a backpack or something with a shoulder strap, the tail went over top or it would constantly be getting pulled.

Therefore, the clubbed tail needs to be altered to sit on the pack.

Colin
    maya8 likes this.
  5. Gra30 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hi Patrick, I will posting a new release shortly that has the same ie a ponytail and pack.
    In this case the tail cannot fit over the top as it is short.
    The best option is to have a small groove in the pack, I assume the roll on the top.
    Cut a small area out, refill with milliput or the like and talc the said ponytail.
    Fit the pack, only dry fit, the indentation should be left where the tail sits and a little tidying and smoothing is needed.
    This looks better than a squashed ponytail in my opinion.
    Best wishes
    maya8 likes this.
  6. maya8 Member

Canada
    Hi guys,

Thanks for your answer. Soldiers at the time found the right answer: they cut off the pigtail unless they were not carrying a high backpack, with rolled blanket/greatcoat strapped on top.

No luck with the re-enactors: most have short hair, or not much.;)

The pigtail under the pack, no, I don't think so. I will simply thin and chop off the pigtail until its end is not below the shoulder line, say a few inches above. Horsemen could carry it long and prominent a clubbed tail because they rarely carry anything on the shoulders. Dashing look. :smug: As for the foot sluggers, practicality/comfort would be more important. :notworthy: I don't think they wore it long enough to sit on top of the backpack.

Thanks,

Patrick
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Did some rechecking in Franklin's "British Uniforms of the Napolenic Wars", the clubbed tail was regulation for infantry. When wrapped and waxed around the little sandbag or lead shot, the bottom of the tail sat at the base of the collar, therefore, it would just touch the top of the pack, behind the blanket roll. Once the regulation was removed, 1800 I think, the privates of the infantry didn't miss a beat in lopping them off. Some dashing young officers kept ponytails, tied with ribbon until they became completely out of fashion.

If I can dig up a pic of a proper clubbed tail, not a loose ponytail, I'll post it

Colin
    maya8 likes this.
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    First one clubbed by folding and tying
    hair1.gif
    Clubbed with weight (sandbag or lead shot)
    brownwig1.jpg 132d7e10.gif

Colin
    maya8 likes this.
  9. maya8 Member

Canada
    Thanks Colin (Chaos Cossack)