1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Philip II of Macedon Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Finally got around to putting the finishing touches on this great bust from Alexandros miniatures (he's been about 98% done for the last few weeks). The bust is of Philip II of Macedon, the father of Alexander the Great. He united (aka conquered) Greece and was assassinated shortly before his planned invasion of Persia (which his son completed rather successfully). All of the equipment on the model is based on actual relics found in a tomb in Vergina. The tomb has been linked to the royal family of Macedon and the items either belonged to Philip or most likely one of his direct descendants.

The model was painted entirely with acrylics and the scale is 200mm. I had to create the leather straps attached to the sword, shield, quiver, and helmet. I also added a string to the bow.

Thank you for taking a look. I hope you enjoy the end result.

- David

Philip01.jpg Philip02.jpg Philip03.jpg

Philip04.jpg Philip05.jpg Philip06.jpg
    tonydawe, john din, Tommi and 23 others like this.
  2. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    David, I really liked, there is a nice gold atmosphere all around the figure that gives a nice tan to the skin, great job...(y)
  3. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    The shield was painted freehand. I based the design on the gold and ivory shield found in the Vergina tomb. The two figures in the center of the original shield are difficult to distinguish. However, from what I read, scholars seem to think they could be Achilles and Penthesilea... so that is what I painted. Below are a few pictures of the shield as a work in progress.

shield01.jpg shield02.jpg

shield03.jpg shield04.jpg
    tonydawe, Theodoros and billyturnip like this.
  4. Danis Active Member

Greece
    +1 You can feel the gold atmosphere!! Very nice work !!
  5. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Wonderful detail work and it sounds like you have researched this piece well......it shows in your painting. I am very drawn to the shield. Well done.
  6. sancho7 Active Member

France
    Beautiful painting of the bust of Alexandros Models (y)
  7. cinimod Active Member

United-Kingdom
    That looks really good. I have always liked this bust but never had the courage to do it justice. Perhaps I might now, having seen this one.........dominic
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Stunning work on the shield.
    Carl.
  9. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Amazing work all round there David!...that is beautifully done.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Geez thats nice, and the sheild is outstanding. Great job
    Ben
  11. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    great work. I like it all.
  12. sirhogr Member

Greece
    Fantastic work my friend!!
  13. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great work overall!!!
  14. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stunning work all around.
    That shield is outstanding.
    With what do you draw that pattern on the shield, pencil?????
  15. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you all, I appreciate the words of encouragement.

Marc, yes, the geometric design on the shield was done in pencil over black primer. I used a little help from a compass to get the circles. I was going to pencil in the inner figures too... but once I laid down the gold background color the pencil lines just didn't show up well enough. So I ended up drawing it out on a separate sheet of paper to get the size and position right, then I used a fine brush and watered down dark brown paint to rough out the form.
  16. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Stunning painting David love everything about this one.

Cheers David
  17. Manatarm Active Member

China
    Great painting!!! and thanks for SBS of painting the shield, its really helpful for the beginner as me (y)
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks David for your explanation.
    What kind of pencil did you use 3B, 4H, for example. I did once a pencil drawing and never get rid of the lines.

marc
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent painting David. The geometric pattern on the shield is visually stunning but I was drawn to the little details on the quiver and helmet and how they all tie together so well with the overall piece. Simply brilliant.
  20. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Tony, thank you. I really appreciate the kind words.

Marc, I wish I had something better to say but I just used a good ol #2 (HB) pencil. I tried harder leads (4H and 2H), but the lines weren't showing up on the black base coat. I have had trouble in the past with the pencil showing through. I generally try to keep the line as light as possible and make just enough marks to be able to follow the pattern. But it often takes two or three coats depending on the color and consistency of the paint.