1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

'Perdikas on campaign'. Macedonian Phalangites(πεζέταιροι)332 BC

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by rossbach, Jun 17, 2017.

1. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Macedonian Phalangites(πεζέταιροι). Paionia (Πaiona) phalanx. 332 BC

A modified Alexandros Models 54 mm figure. Working time: february - may 2017.

The character/name of Perdikas is fictional. I just wanted our man to have a solid Macedonian name. Furthermore I do not pretend that neither the figure's configuration (equipment, colours and shield design) nor its imaginary allocation to the phalanx (fictitious) mentioned above are in any way historically accurate.

The modifications include lowering of the left arm and repositioning of the right hand to bring the Sarissa in a more horizontal position; adding of a scarf and a 'backpack' consisting of a cloak (folded lead sheet) with a gourd and a bag attatched. Cord fasteners are made from thin lead wire.

Figure is painted in oils (Old Holland) over an acrylic base (Tamiya primer and Vallejo base colours). The shield markings (first and last letter of the phalanx name) were made with the help of a template made in Word.

The brickred and ochre yellow colours used throughout were chosen because they complement the brown and khaki drill hues used for the tunic and leather. They have nothing to do with FYROM!

For a good view of the figure: select a picture and choose full screen mode. Then click the right mouse button and choose 'view picture'. Click and Perdikas will be all over your screen. Not the best pics given the artitistic standards seen on the forum. But the pics are sharp and show good painting detail

IMG_0012-1.jpg 20170606_223509.jpg 20170617_180103.jpg 20170617_180110.jpg 20170617_180144_005.jpg 20170617_180144_006.jpg 20170617_180144_007.jpg 20170617_180144_008.jpg 20170617_180144_010.jpg 20170617_180144_012.jpg 20170617_174829_013.jpg 20170617_180144_014.jpg 20170617_180144_015.jpg 20170617_180144_016.jpg 20170617_180144_017.jpg 20170617_180144_009.jpg 3.jpg IMG_0022-1.jpg IMG_20170202_181814.jpg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Mirofsoft, Oda, John Bowery and 12 others like this.
  2. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Some of the pics are displayed incorrect as you can see. However if you click on a pic and then right mouse click 'view picture' it does show the pic correct. What is more the pic can then be enlarged screen size.
    Oda likes this.
  3. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have this fabulous figure and yours is inspirational. A quite superb paint and presentation job on an already excellent piece.

Gary
    anstontyke and rossbach like this.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent paintwork.

Marc
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Paul

Great artwork and presentation , like the colours you have used

How long is the pike he has .,...very impressive indeed

Pics sorted for you

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  6. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    30 cm.......................
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England

WOW that's long ..imagine fighting with it !!!!

Nap
  8. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Well......... I am no expert on Ancient Warfare but I imagine what these phalanxes (imagine a whole unit consisting of hundreds of spears) actually did was to push the enemy from the field while at the sametime preventing him from reaching the Macedonian ranks. In theory at least. Thing is: historians can't really tell for sure what the actual melee would have looked like. But there seems to be consensus on this pushing function.
    Oda, anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  9. Ferris A Fixture

Impressive brushwork Paul. Very fine details and outlining, and pleasing colour combination.

Adrian
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Impressive brushwork Paul. Very fine details and outlining, and pleasing colour combination.

Adrian
  11. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Very interesting presentation and excellent painting!

Pierre
  12. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Love it - fantastic job. I especially like the armor and metals. (y)

Regards,
    Phil
    Oda, anstontyke and rossbach like this.
  13. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very neat painting and that long base makes a very impressive presentation.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  14. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Painting update
    All the metal work (Phrygian helmet, inside of the Telamon shield, greaves and the muscle cuirass/ thorax) was painted using gold printers ink mixed with certain amounts of black oil paint to which a few drops of W&N Liquin Fine Detail were added. This normally gives a semi matt finish unless the quantities of added oil paint is higher. Then the finish when placed under a drying lamp is matt. Mostly this is the case with the shadows. I prefer this to happen for in this scale the shadows should not have any sheen at all. I just Sepia on all the bare metal work (applied stipulating) to simulate dirt and oxidation.
    Oda, John Bowery and anstontyke like this.
  15. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Smart base. Excellent work!

Cheers,
    Pedro.
    rossbach likes this.
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent conversion and painting. Thanks for the history.
    Cheers
    John
    rossbach likes this.
  17. Oda A Fixture

Paul mate,what can I say about this?No matter what I come up with it will be short of the mark!You have done an exceptional work on all levels.What is more important is that you have devised an entire historical proposal on the Phalangitai which is -at least to my eyes- very plausible.You have set new standards on classical antiquity subjects and that is not meant to be a compliment!Congrats mate!

Oda.
    rossbach likes this.
  18. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Thanks mate :love::D . Well...... we had some discussions about the configuration. Still feels like walking on thin ice. But yes I do see that most classical subjects are done differently and i really wanted to depict the Phalangitai in a different more realistic down to earth way. Having said that: I also realize that there's a lot about subjects like these that is unknown to us.

Someone on the forum cited Eugene Leliepreve (If my memory serves me correct) who remarked on the appearance of Napoleonic soldiers "If we could really see what they would have looked like we would probably be surprised". I think this holds true for Classical subjects as well.

The gladiator I am working on right now does not leave much room for manoeuvre.

And I am also aware that we are part of a minority: Classical Antiquity is one of the least popular subjects.
    Oda likes this.
  19. Oda A Fixture

A minority indeed but with a champion as yourself I think that it can hold its own;)

Oda.
    napoleonpeart likes this.