1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Pegaso's 90mm Guan Yu

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Jul 29, 2012.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    For sure but it is my left arm!!!!!!!!!!
  2. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Scotty, I know you want this kit badly, just let me say that it is worth every cent, the detail is superb, the pose is excellent its just up to the painter to bring out its best
    Ben
  3. khorgor Member

Australia
    fantastic. I gotta win lotto and get one ;-)
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    IMG_5815.JPG IMG_5816.JPG Back again,
    While the horse is drying, I started on Guan Yu's face. Great detail here with his trade mark long beard and long sideburns. The first set of pics is of the based face with the first round of oils still wet (thats why it's shiny).
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    This second round of photos are of the face almost completed, the beard at this stage is only based in to get an overall feel to the face. Historical notes call Guan Yu the "red faced general", this can be taken in several ways so I opted to go for a darker than normal Asian skin tone with redder cheeks, it seemed more natural this way. I will get onto his head gear next
    Cheers
    Ben IMG_5832.JPG IMG_5833.JPG IMG_5834.JPG
    housecarl, tonydawe and NickM like this.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Impressive Ben, can't wait to see the next steps. Another masterpiece in the making mate.
  7. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Tony, he is coming up nicely at the moment, not long to go until WASMEX so I have got my fingers crossed.
    Ben
  8. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I have now pretty much finished as much on the head until I put it on the body. The beard needs a touch up with a few highlights and maybe one or two more on the head piece. You can probably make out the pattern on the back of the head piece, this is intentionally quite light but I may make it a tad more visible yet, not sure
    Ben IMG_5844.JPG IMG_5845.JPG IMG_5846.JPG
    Meehan34 and Tarracus like this.
  9. chaRon Member

United-States
    Hi Ben,
    nice start. I have the same, but at the moment not time to paint this great figure.
    Permit me a note. I think the cape is a bit too dark, in original it was more blue-gray with embroideries in gold.
    Cheers Charon
  10. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Charon, thanks for the comments, love to see yours when you start it, its a great kit and well worth it. Can I ask if you have some reference on Guan Yu's clothing as I was very hard pressed to find anything to go off as to colourings and designs.
    Cheers
    Ben
  11. chaRon Member

United-States
    Hi Ben,
    of course, its a great kit and I hope to find the time to paint this as soon as possible.
    It´s not really easy to find infos or references, maybe can I help you a bit.
    The shirt is white silk, also the breeches.
    The chest cuirass was in dark bronze, the edging in iridescent peacock green. The abdominal disc was in gilded metal. Important, all the decorations are in relief to provide contrast to the cuirass and gilded.
    Shoulder guard (of the cuirass): the mask is in gilded metal whilst the rest is in gilded bronze with relief and border in gilded metal. The hide edging is coloured in peacock green and profiled in gold.
    The Footwear from red or dark green hide, profiled in gold with thick soles made from white leather. The cloak made from silk in green.

The first should be enough to have a basis. If you need more infos, lets me know and I will try to help you. On the Pegasos Homepage you will find some pictures from the painted figure, also you have informations in the box.

Your painting of the horse look great so far, the horse of Guan Yu was known as Red Rabbit.
    Cheers Charon
  12. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Wow, cheers for that Charon, You know your stuff, I had only gone on ancient chinese art and modern takes on him to get colour references so this is great. I have already done some of his armour as well as started his cloak and under shirt (pics soon), I have gone for the white undershirt and green cloak but changed a few colours here and there for personal preference. I had no idea of the footwear as I couldnt find and reference anywhere on styles or colours so this is great. Although the box art is superbly painted, I wanted a different colour scheme for him.
    As for his horse, I had found more reference on it than the man, but have gone for a darker colouring but kept the three white socks.
    I have just about finished his Green Dragon Blade so will post pics soon
    Ben
  13. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Here is where I am up to with the body, The white pants are pretty much done, the green outer cloak has had a few shades put into it but will need a lot more to give depth and high contrast to represent silk, and the inner colouring of the cloak is based in. At the moment it looks a bit toooooo green and gold but I hope to alter this as I go. You can also see the chest plate is pretty much done as well as the purple wrap section. I went for the purple to give some colour contast to the green. It all looks a bit stark at the moment and I hope to make it more pleasing to the eye as I go. IMG_5840.JPG IMG_5841.JPG IMG_5842.JPG
  14. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    I have also completed most of the Green Dragon Blade that is Guan Yu's weapon of choice. Legend has it that that it weighed up to 40kg and he could wield it with one arm!!!!! Some also say it was made of jade, but this would be impracticle as jade, although quite hard, it is very brittle and would shatter if hit. I have opted to paint the handle in a jade effect for fun. I have yet to finish the metal sections and the sash tied to it
    Ben IMG_5824.JPG IMG_5825.JPG
  15. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    This is coming along really nicely
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Oh yes, this is coming along very nicely Ben. You've clearly got the juices flowing mate. Love the bright bold colours.
  17. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for that Ken and Tony, I'm pretty happy with how its going at the moment, finding it hard to get the green to the standard that I want and bright colours aren't that easy to deal with but I am sure it will get there in the end. Lots of elements to get right
    Ben
  18. khorgor Member

Australia
    cripes. looks good. whites are coming along nicely
  19. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Alright, back again with more updates. I have been working on some of the smaller parts such as the saddle and the side skirts. I loved the way the box art depicted the tiger pelt so I thought I would emulate this on mine, the beige to golden tan under colours were done in oils and the black stripes were done in acrylics. I have yet to do some patterns surrounding the pelt but am finding it hard to come up with something effective but that can also fit these tight areas.
    Ben IMG_5817.JPG IMG_5818.JPG IMG_5849.JPG IMG_5950.JPG
  20. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Back again,
    I am at a point where I cant do anymore on the horse until it is fixed to the base, so here are some progress shots of the groundwork. The first pic is of the base before painting, showing what it is made of. The basic ground is made of DAS modelling clay, the rock wall is using tree bark and the pebbles are rail road litter of various sizes, added to this is some fine pebbles/rocks from the garden. The second pic is of the base painted up. The lower section will be filled with clear resin to depict a river IMG_5835.JPG IMG_5839.JPG , I have also to add grasses etc to the top section
    Ta
    Ben
    Aveleira, khorgor and NickM like this.