1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Pegaso's 75 Mm Hideyoshi Toyotomi

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Johan Kees, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Hi all!

For those that are interested, I have just added a review on my weblog of the 75 mm mounted Japanese warlord Hideyoshi Toyotomi released by Pegaso Models.

004 Hideyoshi Toyotomi (Pegaso colour example).jpg

Click HERE to read the review.

J;)han
  2. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Add to my favorite list (y)
  3. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Grea review Johan....(y)
  4. REVENGE Well-Known Member

Belgium
    mooie review johan bedankt
  5. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Johan for such a helpful and informative review of this great figfure. Collecting my piece next week from Steve Kirtley!

Gary
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Zeer gedetailleerd revieuw.
    Heeft duidelijk de kwaliteit van de Pegaso figuren aan. Zeer scherpe foto's ook.

Marc
  7. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Many thanks to all of you.

Iedereen hartelijk bedankt.

Gary, next week I will drop you an email, my friend.

J;)han
  8. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Thanks for this Johan, this figure is definately on my wishlist.

Alex.
  9. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    I got the same kit early January and I was going to do an open box review. It is well sculpted with lots of details. My only concern is the horse. It is a 90mm horse witha a 75mm figure. The size of the legs and head are the same size and scale of a 90mm.
    Take a look for a comparison. The first horse is from the kit, the second from Pegaso 90mm Genghis Khan and the third one is also from Pegaso 90mm Napoleon Crossing the Alps.

horse.JPG It looks great from the product shot. You cannot really tell the different in scale of the horse and the figure. It would be great if the figure is also in 90mm. The kit does not come with a parts list or assembly instruction. So keep the product shots handy when you put the kit together.

Here are some reference pictures from my collection on Hideyoshi Toyotomi.

Toyotomi-hideyoshi.jpg mtd sam2a.jpg mtd sam3.jpg mtd sam4.jpg
    Tommi, Hideyoshi and Jamie Stokes like this.
  10. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Alex

I am sure that you will not be disappointed with it.

Felix

I haven't any mounted figure in 90 mm so I couldn't compare the horses. Anyway, I don't have the impression that there is something wrong with the proportions between the figure and its mount. As long as those dimensions are right, I think we don't have to worry about the fact that this a very big 75 mm kit.

Thanks for the extra reference pictures. I already had a few, but these I missed. Saved them right away!

J;)han
  11. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Yellowcat.

Thanks for the pics and the comments re. the size of the horse. In truth, I think 'scale' is widely open to interpretation these days with some current '75mm's being the same size as 90mm's of even only a few years ago. Indeed, even using Pegaso's own pieces to make the point, I also have the 90mm 'Genghis' mounted piece and the actual figure is appreciably smaller than the more recent "90mms" from Pegaso. In my instance, I compared the 'Genghis' creation to a much more recent 90mm Knight Hospitaller holding aloft the Saracen flag and that figure is actually more like a 110mm piece than a 90. Even allowing for the bulk of the comparison (or whatever it's called) horse blanket, the horse in that piece is MUCH bigger than in the Genghis piece. I don't propose going into issues about respective size of humans and breeds of horse etc and the comments refer only to "overall" impressions of a piece. Indeed, this 90mm Genghis piece which is now some years old is actually about the same size as my Pegaso 75mm Roman Decurion in Sport Armour mounted piece so one can see how wide the interpretation is in scale sizes over the years with more generous allowances for respective scales seemingly the order of the day.

On a final note, knowing Johan's fine eye for detail and anatomy, I am sure that if he saw any significant size or anatomy issues with the harmony of the Toyotomi rider and horse he would have commented upon it in his review.

Gary
  12. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Scale or not scale It is just that the horse has been beef up so that it will not collapse and stand on it's rear legs. Great engineering and design. It is a great and beautiful sculpt. Well worth the money. Just a note, Mongols horse are smaller in size than the average breed.
  13. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Felix

Are you talking about the Hideyoshi figure now or do you mean the Genghis Khan one?

J;)han
  14. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Johan,
    I am talking about the Hideyoshi figure. The Genghis Khan is my reply to Gary about the size of the Genghis Khan 's horse.
    Sorry for the mix up.
  15. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Thanks for cleering that up, Felix. Now, if I understand it well, you say that the Japanese warriors/Samurai used horses that originated from the steppes of Mongolia?

J;)han
  16. Piotrec Active Member

United-States
    The box art version painted by Diego Ruina. I can't notice any proportion issues with this kit. I am so glad I own a copy :)
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  17. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Hi Piotrec

Many thanks for adding these box art pics here. Just have seen them myself while visiting the Pegaso website and was about to include them in my thread. So you have saved me some work (y).

J;)han
  18. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Box art looks good. I would like to see a close up of the pattern on the Jinbaori and also the design on the war fan. Looking at Yellowcats reference pictures it is a bit of a shame (to my mind) that he isn't sculpted with his 12th century O Yoroi style armour on, he does look cool wearing that. Having said that, I'm still gonna be buying it:)

Alex.
  19. yellowcat A Fixture

Canada
    The ancient Chinese, Mongols, the Ming and the Manchu rode horses the same size as the Japanese Kiso horse. A Japanese breed, the Kiso has inhabited Japan for at least 1,000 years. Their exact origin is not known, but it is believed that they are descendants of the Mongolian horses of the grasslands or the plateau horses of Central Asia.

Please refer to these links:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=564739
    http://voices.yahoo.com/kiso-pony-breed-characteristics-6727774.html

This link regards the size of the Kiso:
    http://horse-breeds.findthebest.com/l/195/Kiso

Here is a picture of the Japanese Kiso horse.
    h01.jpg
  20. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Thanks again, Felix.

J;)han