1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Pegaso Vexillifer 75mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Oct 2, 2012.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I started work on this lovely 75mm figure from Pegaso a couple of weeks ago but held off until now to show you my WIP pics.

Photos taken on my iPhone aren't the best, but they'll give you some idea of what's happening.

Spent a couple of nights working on the lion skin, trying to get the range of colours correct.

I'm currently painting the shield design and the vexillum. Having fun researching the standard designs used by the various legions.

Hope you like the pics so far. I'll have some more to show you soon. Please feel free to share your comments/ feedback.

IMG_0249.JPG IMG_0247.JPG IMG_0246.JPG IMG_0245.JPG IMG_0244.JPG IMG_0250.JPG
  2. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Very Nice work so far!!! It gona look great!!

Regards
    Pedro
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Was wondering when you were going to get stuck into your WASMEX stash. Loong good so far, the lion pelt looks especially good
    Ben
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work so far Tony.
    Maybe a very small pupil into the eyes. The iris looks so big now.

Marc
  5. Mark S Guest

G'day Tony, nice work on another Roman to add to the cohort. I like the pelt except for the whisker folicle spots or whatever you call them on the lions head muzzle.I reckon they're far to prominent and out of scale.
    But it seems to be heading towards another great job(y) ............and get a bloody camera the Iphone just doesn't cut it.:meh: When I saw Ben's pix of your figures from this years Wasmex, it was as though I was seeing them for the first time they looked so much better than the images I had seen before on the forum.......cheers.
    FigureLover likes this.
  6. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Coming along nicely
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys, thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll be working on the eyes and the whisker folicle spots as suggested.

Mark, thanks for your comments mate. (y)

I've added the gladius, dagger and shield to the figure now and its strating to come together. Thanks to Tommi's awesome stencils, I'm pretty happy with the way the shield design came out. Still a lot of work to be done on the shield.

IMG_0251.JPG IMG_0252.JPG IMG_0253.JPG IMG_0254.JPG IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0256.JPG IMG_0259.JPG IMG_0260.JPG IMG_0261.JPG
    Aveleira likes this.
  8. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tony, looking good all round as usual, shield design has worked out a treat. What colours have you used to paint the lion fur? Looks very effective and I am about to start one myself.
    Cheers
    Tommi
  9. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one mate. This is going in the right direction.(y)
  10. Mark S Guest

Love the shield design, this one's clearly going to be another excellent piece.
  11. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking great Tony, the lion fur is very nice.
  12. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Keep on the good work! Nice shield!

Regards
    Pedro
  13. Martin Rohmann A Fixture

Germany
    Very good so far. Curious for more...

Cheers
  14. krom1415 Member

United-Kingdom
    Coming on very well, I love the lion skin, very realistic.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys, I really do value and appreciate your comments.

Tommi, the lion fur skin is painted with a combination of Vallejo Gold Brown, Beige, Buff, Ivory, Orange Brown and Burnt Umber, with a Sepia Shade wash and deepest shadows with a Black wash. The underside of the pelt is painted buff and highlighted with Ivory and wasked with Sepia.
    Tommi and Jamie Stokes like this.
  16. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi Tony, this ones up to your usual excellent standard mate ;)
    The lion pelt is looking very convincing and I particularly love the shield!
    Cheers
  17. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Impressive Tony.
    Carl.(y)
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys, more painting tonight. I'll post some update pics in a day or two.

Glad you like my progress so far.;)
  19. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony great work on the shield and Lion pelt looking forward to following.(y)

Cheers Ken
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Ken,

I went mad last night and painted leg hairs on a 75mm figure:wtf:

I've also added two vertical stripes, known as clavii, to signify this Vexillifer as a senior officer. he looks properly Roman now!

These pics probably don't look hugely different from the last set, but I've done a lot of "tuning" of the fine details. Highlights here, shadows added there.

The next step is to paint the design on the vexillum. I've attached a photo of a reproduction to show you roughly what it will look like. My version will have a couple of slight variations. :cautious:
    IMG_0261.JPG IMG_0266.JPG IMG_0267.JPG LEG-II-Adiutrix-fix-PC180025-copy.jpg
    Gellso and NickM like this.