1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Pegaso Mounted Mongol

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ghamilt1, Dec 1, 2013.

1. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Literally just finished this beauty from Pegaso. There was a tremendous amount of detail in this kit, and it took a long time, but I am very happy with the final product. I decided to put him in a wintery scene with snow, as it solved the problem of me not being very good at ground work, especially grass. I seem to have finally got the hang of the new camera as well, and hope that these pictures give you a better idea of the figure's true appearance. Anyway, feel free to weigh in.

Cheers; Glenn
    DSCN0133.JPG DSCN0134.JPG DSCN0136.JPG DSCN0137.JPG
  2. Mark S Guest

Stunning result Glenn, beautifully painted,...well done.
  3. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Beautifully done Glenn congrats
  4. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Wow. I like the arrow case very much. Great painting
  5. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Your going from strength to strength with your painting Glenn.Like this one a lot.
    Brian
  6. swralph A Fixture

great work all round(y)
  7. waterloo1815 Active Member

United-States
    That is some OUTSTANDING brush work!! Dave
  8. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Excellent work!!!

Regards
    Pedro
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very, very good paintwork.

marc
  10. osceola Active Member

Italy
    very good paintwork.:)
  11. DEMOH Well-Known Member

Russian-Federation
    great work!
  12. Ferris A Fixture

Excellent work!
    The snow fits this figure perfectly.
    Saved the pictures for future reference, thanks.

Adrian
  13. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Great work, indeed!
    Really an excellent reference material!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  14. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks one and all for your kind comments and encouragement.
    After looking at the figure this morning, I have a question of opinion on a technical matter;
    I always spray a dull coat on my figures to give them that nice matt finish we all strive for, and it seems to do the trick nicely. One draw back in this case, is the metallics are not as "shiny" as they were, and I was wondering if I should brush on a glaze of gloss or semi gloss (on the metallic parts only) to bring the shine back. On the other hand, it does look pretty good now and I'm also wondering if this could be a classic case of "not knowing when you're finished" and I should simple walk away.
    If you've had a similar experience I would value you're opinion. Again thanks for having a look.
  15. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    In a word - no!

To my eye, duplicating the individual surface finishes of each item on a model is one of the most important things a painter can do. The reason for using a dull top coat is to imitate the flat, dull appearance of cloth. Nothing spoils the look of cloth more than allowing a sheen (ANY sheen!) on cloth surfaces. It looks about as unrealistic as anything I can imagine.

But metal? On most uniforms, things like buttons, swords and the like are usually bright. Nothing looks less like lustrous metal than a flat dull surface finish. For skin and leather, a more "egg-shell" or semi-gloss sheen is appropriate. A modeler should think about these things while in the midst of the painting process - rather than as an afterthought.

What I do is paint all of the items that need a dull finish - clothing, for the most part - first. Then apply your dull coat if needed. Then you can proceed to the semi-gloss finished items and lastly, the metal stuff. I have never seen a metallic painted surface that looks good under coat of gloss clear paint. It immediately puts an intermediary surface finish between your eye and the metal powders that give metallic paint its metal-like luster. To my eye, it always looks less convincing than simply using a good quality metallic paint and leaving it alone.

It only takes a little bit of forethought during the painting process to avoid this kind of dilemma. And that is how I approach this problem. I hope that helps!

Mike
  16. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  17. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    First one of these I've seen painted up (apart from the box art version) and it looks superb.

Rapturous applause!!

- Steve
  18. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Knockout work on this Glenn. Quite a departure from your usual figure choice......unless of course it's Genghis McCann.
  19. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Derek, Ghengis McCann would be too fierce a character to be properly portrayed in miniature, and many thanks for the kind words. Thanks also Steve and Eduardo, for your generous praise. Special thanks Mike for sharing your expertise. Your advise makes a lot of sense to me and I will be incorporating this approach on future projects.
  20. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely piece Glenn.
    Carl.(y)