1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pegaso Models - Montezuma, Aztec Emperor, 75mm

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Kisifer, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Introduction

We all got impressed from the very first moment we saw it. An amazing,colorful and unique subject from Pegaso Models. Montezuma, The Aztec Emperor at the very popular 75mm. Sculptor the Master Andrea Jula and painter the Master Pietro Balloni. So here is the review of this masterpiece for you all.

Historical Notes

Moctezuma, also known as Motecuhzoma Xocoyotzin (c. 1466 – 1520), was an Aztec ruler ("huey tlatoani" of Tenochtitlan), leader of the Aztec Triple Alliance from circa 1502 – 1520. He is known for being the ruler of the Aztec empire at the beginning of the Spanish conquest of Mexico.

The portrayal of Moctezuma in history has mostly been colored by his role as ruler of a defeated nation, and many sources describe him as weak-willed and indecisive. The biases of some historical sources make it difficult to understand his actions during the Spanish invasion.[1]

During his reign the Aztec Empire reached its maximal size; Through warfare Moctezuma II expanded the territory as far south as Xoconosco in Chiapas and the Isthmus of Tehuantepec, and incorporated the Zapotec and Yopi people into the empire.[2] He changed the previous meritocratic system of social hierarchy and widened divide between pipiltin (nobles) and macehualtin (commoners) by prohibiting commoners to work in the royal palaces.[3] The famous Stone of Tizoc, a sacrificial stone decorated with carvings representing Tízoc, Moctezuma's predecessor as Tlatoani, was also elaborated during his rule.

The kit

Article 75-042

Sculptor: Andrea Jula
    Painter: Pietro Balloni

Material: white metal
    Pieces: 17
    Weight: 350 gr.
    Size: 75 mm.

The usual dark blue hard carton box of Pegaso for figures of this size contains the usual 2 dark grey foams that hold all 17 pieces. Also in the box the buyer can find 2 leaflets with historical notes from Marco Giuliani in 4 different languages, along with painting guide.

Below you can see all the pieces and admire the quality of them.

For more pictures of the finished bust please visit Pegasos website:
    http://www.pegasomodels.it/details_en.asp?code=75-042#

Quality and Detail

We all know the high quality that Pegaso Models provides in every kit they release. This one couldn't be an exception. Very little cleaning is required since the seam lines are barely visible. Also the dry fit touches the perfection so the painter will have very little work to do, before getting into the painting. The details of this figure are simply amazing. Andrea Jula has really put an amazing effort on this figure, that awaits a good painting in order to raise all the details up. Those can also be seen in the photos below.

Painting

The painting was done by the Master Pietro Balloni and he really did an amazing work. I would consider it a hard figure not for the amateur painter. But that's up to everyone decision if he will paint this figure or not. All those details are begging to be painted indeed. Also the skintones are needed to be treated specifically...since we speak for a native american man. The colors though in this figure are great...so many options available that really makes the paintwork a pleasure.

Conclusion

Overall a fantastic figure, provided from Pegaso Models, offering to the figure modellera real challenge...will you dare it?? :)

Finally I would like to Thank again Pegaso Models, Luca Marchetti and Pietro Balloni for providing this kit. :)

Xenofon

************ more photos on next post****************

Attached Files:

2. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    ___________________ Continued from above post_______________________

Attached Files:

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Great review Xenofon. I got this figure right after it became available and also was surprised by the size of the figure. 80mm from the feet to the eyes and over a 85mm once the headress is attached. A beautiful figure indeed. I look forward to seeing yours painted Xenofon. I am waiting for a couple of books I ordered for reference.
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    The figure is okay, I've seen better.
    Nice review, thank you.

Cheers
    Roc
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks for the revieuw Xenofon.
    All the details are great, bringing them out is a challenge.
    Hope to see your painted version soon.

marc
  6. 43rdMichael Member

LOL !! Great call.
  7. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Xenofon
    Great review on a superb kit. Like Guy I ordered this as soon as it came out and am waiting for some reference books to arrive in the post, will be interesting to see how yours turns out, keep us posted.
    Cheers
    Tommi
  8. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Definitely a very impressive figure, with lots of opportunity for the painter to explore.

Anyone wanting to see some inspiring original scans relating to this era and similar cultures, take a look at some of the research galleries on my site..
    http://www.royhuntminiatures.com/medieval_gallery_page.html

All the best..

Roy.
  9. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    It is indeed an impressive piece overall. It will be soon on my bench I hope, as soon as I finish something big that I prepare. ehehhehe

Xenofon
  10. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    thanks for the review
    it's a bit too colourfull for me.
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the references Roy. Working on an upcoming project maybe?
  12. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    No, not me Guy, although it is indeed a fascinating subject..I just thought they would make for some inspiring images and some good colour options.

(Big congratulations for the medal in the Chief 2007 awards by the way..!!)
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roy,
    With all the references you had accumulated I wondered if you had a Mayan project in the works.
  14. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    Love the figure of this aztec!!!! Thanks for the review on a geat 54mm figure Guy!
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Sorry Matt.......not my review. This great review was done by Xenofon (Kisifer)

And its a 75mm...........not 54mm :D
  16. "Tarakaman" New Member

United-States
    Your right sorry Kisifer great review on this "75mm" figure. Thanks for the correction Guy.
  17. MattS Active Member

United-States
    Roy,

Thanks for the link! Some great reference work. I hope to paint this figure at some point and will checking back for references. Thanks!

PS Under femme fatales, how could you leave out my favorite, Ava Gardner ;-)??

Attached Files:

18. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    My apologies Matt..!!:)..I'm sure I have missed many that could have been included if I had a good enough quality file..I'm sure there will be more in the future..

Roy.
  19. MattS Active Member

United-States
    Sorry to hijack this great thread, I just have this Ava Gardner obsession. Thanks for indulging me!