1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pegaso Miniatures Sioux Warrior bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    close 5.jpg

As many of you know who have visited my studio I quite often paint more than one figure / bust at a time and I thought while I had mixed the flesh formula for the Young Sioux bust I would also do the Pegaso Sioux bust at the same time.

Using the same Humbrol #121 undercoat and afterwards with Windsor & Newton oils I also fleshed out the Pegaso Sioux Warrior bust also by Carl Reid. Here is where he is at right now with the flesh dried and the next step to follow.

pSioux 04.JPG pSioux 05.JPG

pSioux 06.JPG pSioux 07.JPG

pSioux 08.JPG pSioux 09.JPG

pSioux 10.JPG

As I did with the Young Sioux I also did for the painting of this bust was to crop out the box art photos for the detail areas of the bust. My colors may vary from the box art tho.

close 2.jpg

close 3.jpg

close 4.jpg

close 1.jpg

All questions and comments welcomed.

Kit Review of this bust - click here

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    When I first saw this figure I knew my version would have war paint at least on his face and maybe his arms too. Here is my "War Paint" references for Sioux.

warpaint.jpg

warpaint 2.jpg

warpaint 3.jpg

Sergey Zlobov put together this photo of War paint.

war paint 5.jpg

Click on any image above for an enlargement and click again for a further enlargement.
  3. québecpainter Member

Canada
    Hi Guy!

That bust look very good so far.

Cant wait to see the final result.

Claude.
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Claude for the kind words. Still a long way to go.
  5. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Interesting to see how the pair from the same sculptor will look by the same painter!!!

I don't know why but IMHO the Young's bust looks so much "Indian" then Pegaso's? Maybe the painting "altered" the sculpting so much?"

Keep us posted Guy.......

Ray ;)
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Ray. In my opinion the box art painting has distorted the native American look of the bust. Below are photos of the master and you can clearly see the Native American look is there.

11022009060.jpg

11022009061.jpg

11022009064.jpg

7. Wlas Member

United-States
    My favorite field.
    Can't wait to see the completion.
  8. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Hello my friend,looking forward to see some more paint on it,good start!
    chris
  9. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Great start.
    Flesh color is very wonderful.
    I think research to your Native American is amazing.
    I'm looking forward to future's progress of your work.

Mitsutaka
  10. Bluesking Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Guy,
    This actual headdress appears in Thomas E Mails "Mystic Warriors of the Plains" and was owned by White Bull who claimed to have slain Custer personally. Can't wait to see your version finished old pal.
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Stunning work so far.
    I think you gonna have some great painting hours with all the feathers and beads.

Marc
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    ~ John ~ Chris ~ Mitsutaka ~ Stephen ~ Marc ~
    Thanks guys for your kind words and support.

Stephen - I'll look this image up and scan it later for reference.
  13. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Guy great start on this bust!
    I'm looking forward to your painted version.

cheers,
    Marcel.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Good start Guy,

I'm curious to see how this bust, and the Young bust progress together. Two very fine examples of Carl Reid's awesome sculpting talent. I'll be following your progress with great interest.
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Marcel & Tony for the kind words and support.
  16. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Look forward to your progress with this one Guy.Looks like you have loads of reference.

Cheers David
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Dave. I have been saving reference for years on all of the Native American tribes. Both internet images as well as books.
  18. trooper Member

United-States
    Guy, as usual excellent work. I was wondering, if you are useing or have used water soluble oils in your work. I have developed an intolerance to turps and am looking for some insight. Again, great work, can hardly wait to see it finished.
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks James for your feedback. I use Floquil thinner for my oils and enamels. It does not have the strong "Turp smell" and is more tolerable to the nose. I have never tried the water soluble oils. Can't help you much there.
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Most of the progress made today on the Pegaso Sioux was to base coat the colors in for the Buffalo headress as well as the bone breastplate. This will all get a second coat before going on to the next step.

I chose to go with brown for the Buffalo head dress as here in Oklahoma the Buffalo's color will vary from black to medium brown depending on the age of the Buffalo when killed. With brown I can give it more contrast than the box art version of black.

The beads on the breastplate were given a medium gray base coat to give the beads depth after they are painted white and blue for others on the tops.

The bone breastplate was painted Humbrol Linen and after the second coat will be given a wash with black to give the breast plate depth.

pSioux 11.JPG

pSioux 12.JPG pSioux 13.JPG

pSioux 14.JPG pSioux 15.JPG

All comments / questions welcomed.