1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Pegaso Mexican Gunfighter

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Craft, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    I finished this piece today, it's a 54mm figure from Pegaso. I struggled with this one a bit, I think it's from doing so many busts lately moving down in scale was a little tricky for me. After taking the photos I am going to fix up the mud at the bottom of his pants maybe add a few other colours to it. I have also noticed some paint flecking away (the joys of white metal and acrylics :mad:). My fine line work needs a bit more practice the waist coat and pattern on the hat could be done a little better but after several attempts on the hat I'm just going to leave it for now.
    Critique always welcome and thanks for looking,

Andrew

Attached Files:

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very good paintwork.
    Like it very much.

marc
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Andrew,

You certainly are prolific at the moment; pumping out one great piece after another.

I noted your comment about the change in scales from busts to 54mm figures and thought you might benefit from some advice I was given some time ago.

In short, the rule is that as you decrease in scale, the level of contrast required on the figure will increase (and the same in reverse).

Therefore, what seemed a natural and appropriate level of contrast between light and shadow in 1/9th scale bust, would probably look wrong on a 1/32nd scale (54mm in size) figure. Your Mexican figure could probably stand a bit more highlighting, without it seeming too over-the-top.
    Meehan34 likes this.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The freehand on the sombrero is very neat, and so is the rest.
    I feel your pain re acrylics and white metal.:cautious:
    Carl.
    Meehan34 likes this.
  5. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Marc,
    Thanks Tony, I agree about the highlights I could take it up a notch. That's something I find hard to do on the smaller scales I think it's a fear of overdoing it either that or I mistakingly think what I have done is enough (probably more of the latter). I'm working on another 54mm at the moment so I'll try push myself with the highlights a bit.
  6. jimias A Fixture

Greece

I agree 100% with Tony. Some more contrast would define things better even if this is done is expense of blending. As for the hat's pattern it really lloks fine to me.
    sarouman likes this.
  7. MBD Member

Spain
    I have this in my gray army and always love the sculpt.....You did a great rendition (y)and changing scales keeps your skill up;)......thanks...:)
  8. DaveG Active Member

United-States
    This one is my queue as well and I hope mine turns out half as good as yours. You've done a really nice job with him. (y)

DG
  9. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Yeah, I've painted this one myself Andrew and I agree that it is a hard one, but very satisfying when you get it right, as you have here. Well done. (y)
  10. Mark S Guest

Love this one Andrew.Well done.
    Mate you can let your brushes dry from time to time, they'll be OK;)
    Anyhow,I love the work on the hat and coat but for me I'd like to see another colour thrown in.
    Perhaps a different colour on the waistcoat.But that's just my take on it.
    Again Well done.
  11. Ferris A Fixture

Andrew,

Nice paintwork. You say you need to work on your fine lines, but to me they look great here!
    I wouldn't worry too much about possibly ending up with a bit too stark highlights. It is easy to tone them down again, if necessary, using a series of very very thin veils of the base colour applied over them. this also softens the transitions.

I hope this is of any help.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  12. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    I believe that with minor improvements and what they said over and Tony and the other Jimian be much improved and will look best this job

Cheers
    Alexandros(y)
  13. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice work Andrew!!
  14. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    andrew, looks good. nice job on the sombrero.
  15. meizi Active Member

China
    Hi Andrew, this is a really great paintjob, well done!(y)
    Congratulations.
  16. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Andrew,
    It looks good to me and I like the pattern.
    Cheers
    John
  17. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks for the kind words guys