1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Just Bought! Pegaso Maya Priest Bust

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Dolf, Jan 22, 2019.

1. Dolf Active Member

Portugal
    Hi!

Got a couple of busts recently, and one of them is that Pegaso Maya Priest.

Well, on Pegaso's website, the bust is listed as made in resin, and on 1/9 scale.

http://www.pegasomodels.it/productdetails_en.asp?id=767

No indication whatsoever about this on the original box, not for the material nor the scale.

IMG_1540 copy.jpg

IMG_1541 copy.jpg

I don't know for sure about the scale, if indeed 1/9, or if in fact 1/10.
    Does anyone here has some more accurate info about that?

Another point is that in fact the bust is made on white metal, not resin at all.
    I have no problem with that.
    But I do have a couple of questions:

- do white metal busts/figures, need the same kind of cleaning as those in resin? I mean washing them in order to remove any remains from the manufacturing?

- as for painting these white metal busts/figures: are the same principles as for those made in resin applied here? I mean, a primary coat (using enamels or acrylics), then after dry, oils?

Anyway, I'm a bit confused with the discrepancy of the info listed on Pegaso's website, and the real thing.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Cheers!

Dolf
  2. polyphemus Well-Known Member

The one I have, purchased around 10 years ago, is cast in metal. Broadly speaking the methods for painting white metal figures are the same as for resin. The only caution I would suggest for this piece is that when assembled it is very top heavy.

Geoff
    Dolf likes this.
  3. Dolf Active Member

Portugal
    Thanks Geoff (y)

So, apparently the info regarding the material is wrong on the site of the manufacturer, Pegaso (which is kind of weird IMO, Pegaso being a well known, long established manufacturer on the market of figures & busts), yours, bought quite some time ago being also cast in metal. Notice that I don't know how old mine is, as I bought it from another PF Forum fellow member, who may have had it for as long as yours, will ask.

Yes, it's already quite heavy before assembling in the box. So adding all extra weight, glue, paints, etc, when assembled, I suppose it will increase a bit the final weight. Suppose it requires a heavy wood base, right?

It's my first white metal piece. Haven't closely looked yet at all pieces & parts, but the ones I've already had a close look at, the larger ones, head, torso, mainly, seem to be very detailed, including the little extras cast on the head, nose for instance.
    What scale is it in your opinion, 1/9 or 1/10? Not that there should be a significant difference I suppose, different manufacturers often make one or the other scale with final results quite different in size from other manufacturers, sometimes the differences can be significant for two pieces allegedly the same scale, but produced by different manufacturers.

I'm not assembling nor painting this one now, I'm on other projects for the moment, so for the time being it's part of the "g.a.", but will probably have questions and/or need some help when starting this one :)

Cheers!

Dolf
  4. polyphemus Well-Known Member

It will definitely need a sturdy base, also a fair amount of pinning to support the joins. No, I haven't assembled/painted mine yet but it always lingers near the top of the list of projects I must get done.

Geoff
    Dolf likes this.
  5. Dolf Active Member

Portugal
    Thanks again Geoff.

"a fair amount of pinning to support the joins."

I assume it means just glue won't be enough? :unsure:

Btw, which type of glue is normally used for metal? Is super glue (Loctite, etc) ok? Or does metal require other types of some strong glue (cyanoacrylate, epoxy, etc) ?

Cheers!

Dolf
  6. housecarl Forum Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You are better with epoxy Dolf.(y)
    Dolf and polyphemus like this.
  7. Dolf Active Member

Portugal
    "You are better with epoxy Dolf.(y)"

Thanks a lot (y)

Is that the standard glue used for metal figures & busts?

Cheers!

Dolf
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Dolf,
    I believe that Pegaso is moving to resin on some of their figures. Hence the information on the website. So I think that you have an earlier edition cast in their metal era. I am sure that the dealers still have stocks of the metal castings.
    Cheers
    John
    Paul Kernan and Dolf like this.
  9. Dolf Active Member

Portugal
    Thanks a lot for the clarification, John (y)

Cheers!

Dolf
  10. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Dolf:

I agree with John. You probably have an earlier casting. I have painted and still have some of these gems from Pegaso in my GA. I'd say they are a 50/50 split between the two casting materials.

As for treating the metal piece any differently, I'd be more inclined to pin the larger parts together and use a two part epoxy. The smaller parts should be fine with super glue and no pinning
    Dolf likes this.
  11. Dolf Active Member

Portugal
    Thanks a lot (y)

"I agree with John. You probably have an earlier casting."

IDK, I guess I do, will ask our PF Forum fellow member from whom I bought it.

"I'd say they are a 50/50 split between the two casting materials."

Not sure I get what you mean by "... the two casting materials...".
    This Maya Priest bust is made in one of those two casting materials, metal/white metal, right (the other being the currently more commonly used resin, for which if not mistaken there are different types/qualities) ? Notice that it's not really white, rather lead like color I'd say. Could this be lead?

"I'd be more inclined to pin the larger parts together and use a two part epoxy."

You're not the first one here mentioning "pinning" (at least the larger parts), Geoff above also mentions it.
    But, how do you pin metal pieces? :unsure:

I know it's no big deal making holes on resin, for these miniatures I use a hand drill, but isn't metal (white, or lead) a different matter?
    Or is it as easy to work as with resin? If so, are there some special twist drills for metal, or is it ok to use the same ones used to drill on resin?

Any particular epoxy glue you'd recommend for metal, or any of the many available will do the job?

Many thanks once again.

Cheers!

Dolf
  12. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Apologies Dolf......

By 50/50 split (turn of phrase) , I meant that half my Pegaso busts have been produced in metal and the other half in resin. Although, I'm not sure what the composition of white metal is, I am almost certain the Pegaso busts are not lead.

As for pinning, I've found the metal is soft enough that it is as easy as working with resin. I use a pin vice, drilling holes in both surfaces of the pieces to be held together (for example, an arm and the torso). I then insert a small piece of metal paper clip secured with super glue into the hole of one piece, say the arm. When cured, you can then glue the two pieces together using epoxy glue by inserting the exposed metal clip (arm) into the hole of the torso.

I use Lepage two part epoxy bought at a local hardware store.

Paul
    Dolf likes this.
  13. polyphemus Well-Known Member

One tip when using epoxy glue is to mix it on aluminium foil and then rest the foil on a mild heat source such as a household radiator for a short time (few seconds). This makes the glue slightly more fluid and increases the strength of the join. I've even used the glue in this more fluid form as a filler.

Geoff
  14. Dolf Active Member

Portugal
    Many thanks Paul and Geoff (y)

We definitely never stop learning new stuff :)

Cheers!

Dolf
    John Bowery and Paul Kernan like this.
  15. Forté Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Cannot recommend pinning enough. And make some score marks inside the joins too so glue has something to grip too.

As for glue, I highly recommend Gorilla Superglue Gel. It sets slower than standard superglue so you need to hold it for a few seconds. But that Gorilla glue is seriously strong.
    Babelfish and Dolf like this.
  16. Dolf Active Member

Portugal
    Thank you Forté (y)

Sadly it seems that no Gorilla super glue on sale here :( Have been using Loctite, which I find takes a long time to dry, so have been looking for other alternatives but no success so far.

Cheers!

Dolf
    Forté likes this.