1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pegaso carabinier

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by schley, Jan 6, 2010.

1. schley Active Member

Ireland
    Hi all

just posting some photos of my latest w.i.p. for your comments on the cuirass. Im just wondering if the colour is right?

[IMG]

[IMG]
    flart1943 and pmfs like this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I think that it is to reddisch brown.
    Just my two cents.

Marc
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Marc,

the colour is not bad, I think.

Here's the Original-Uniform of a Carabinier-officer as shown at Musée de l'Armée, Paris.

[IMG]

Regards
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    If the original is an alloy of copper? Then you've got it spot on.
    Carl.
  5. IIICorps Active Member

United-States
    I agree. Eyeball scale it looks a little dark.
    :)
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Its a bit hard to tell with the Macro shot, try shooting from about 6" or so it will give a better view of the work with natural light around it.
    I do like the way you have created that metal effect though, very nice.

Steve
  7. schley Active Member

Ireland
    Hi Guys Thanks for the comments

The breastplate is supposed to be copper I am attaching some photos taken outside , progress is a little slow for me at the moment .

[IMG]

[IMG]
  8. IIICorps Active Member

United-States
    [IMG]

I've seen this cuirass on display. It is not as dark as a penny.
    :)
  9. schley Active Member

Ireland
    UPDATES

Hi guys and thanks for the comments, I take on board about the Cuirass colour I wanted a dark copper finish to represent campaign wear. This is an Officer so the Cuirass was gilded copper and not the brass of the regular troopers.

I would appreciate some input on the whites on this one, I have just finished the sleeves so I am looking for guidance as to what you think ! Do they need more shadows.

Thanks

John

www.grailmodels.moonfruit.com

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  10. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi John,

The cuirass is spot on, but IMHO the white needs a lot more shadow and intermediate tone as well.

Keep him wet :D

Ray ;)
  11. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Yes, you need a lot more shadows. I am not an expert on white but look at a white shirt at your house slung over a chair and observe the colors in those shadows, they are almost gray. Don't forget everything needs to be exaggerated on these miniatures. Get those darker shadows in there then highlite back on the peaks with an almost white. I hope this helps.
  12. schley Active Member

Ireland
  13. schley Active Member

Ireland
    Hi Guys Just did the seams not too sure if the left arm looks right maybe you could let me know what it looks like to you please.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  14. el cid New Member

Canada
    Definately getting there.Looking very good! I am doing this exact piece at the moment and haven't been on here in a few months..how cool is that!
    Perhaps the left arm could use a bit more of a pronounced feather on where the light and shadow meet on the bottom part of the arm (shot 4 here on this page of your post)
    Maybe after this hit the the highlights again for contrast...but....this is a work in progress and I am sure you know where you are going with all of this. The copper breastplate- love it!! I did an approach using Games workshop paints then went over the whole plate with oil washes...I'll keep an eye on your progress so keep these pics coming!! Great work thusfar!! Perhaps, I'll post some pics in a few months..I just haven't the patience to set up in progress pics, but certainly appreciate you doing so..helps seeing another approach. All the best, Steve
  15. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    yeah, he is getting there. Might want to push it even further.
  16. schley Active Member

Ireland
  17. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good so far John will watch your progress with interest.

Cheers David
  18. schley Active Member

Ireland
  19. schley Active Member

Ireland
    Hi all

well I finally finished the figure, appreciate any critiques please.

Thanks

John

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Aveleira likes this.
  20. pkw4 Active Member

Italy
    hi John
    it looks brilliant.Great work
    Roberto