1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pegaso Aquilifer

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by nagashino, Apr 3, 2005.

1. nagashino New Member

[IMG]

Hi All

I bought this figure almost exactly a year ago and in a flush of enthusiasm I got him three quarters done, then - plop.

For the last 11 months he's been staring at me from my cabinet and eventually I just had to do somethingwith him. So, a couple of weeks intens effort later and he's finished.

He hasn't turned out as well as I had hoped but I guess I need de-rusting after a lay-off :(

Mixed media. Oils over acrylics with a lot of Citadel and gouache too.

Critique most welcome

Phil
  2. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    This looks the part Phil...hopefully I'll get to see it at Welling this coming Saturday.
    Have you got a photo of the rear?...that animal skin looks interesting.

Nice one mate.

Roy.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice Phil! I particularly like the chain mail, armor and skirt.

One quibble, meant 100% constructively and feel free to ignore it. This guy basically lives outside a considerable part of the year. Even in Britain or Gaul in the winter, he would be sun-tanned including his legs and arms, right? If he were in Spain or anywhere in the Med, he'd be dark tanned.

All the best,
    Dan
  4. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi there again mate,

Looks goooood, neatly painted as well and I agree with Roy re that animal skin, would love to see the rear............

However, I also agree with Dan, re the suntanned skin........looks a bit pinkish for a weather beaten soldier of any race............but I have to hand out to you the fact, that you've had a lay off.........I've suffered from that syndrome myself, leaving you searching back for basics sometimes :eek: ........just look at Frederick's face initial base coat :lol:

Warm Regards,

Ray ;)
  5. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Very nice job Phil (y) Great job on the leathers as well. Now that this one was completed rather succesfully, are we going to see you do another aquilifier? Say, in 75mm? :lol: . Just kidding.

Again, nice job,
    Jim Patrick
  6. nagashino New Member

Hi all

Thanks for the kind comments

I agree, on reflection I guess the skin tone is a bit pale - maybe I'll go in and remedy that. The bear skin is based on photos of European Brown bears in zoos - you can't see much of the back as the shield covers it but I'll post a couple more shots tonite.

Yes, Ray - one soon loses the edge if the brushes aren't employed on a daily basis, but I hope that I can now start to re-sharpen my techniques with more time available :)

Jim - a 75mm Aquilifer - now there's a thought. Soldiers do one I believe. Mr Larruccia's work, so it will be top class.

Cheers

Phil
  7. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Phil

This looks great, are you coming down to Welling next Sat. If you are bring it with you, I would like to see it.

I have looked at this figure a while now, what was the fit of parts like...? I am interested in the fact you use gouashe as well, I have never thought of using those, I have loads of tubes of them left over from my art school days... :)

real cool figure

Dave
  8. nagashino New Member

Hi Dave

See you at Welling - we can talk gouache :lol:

A couple more shots of the bearskin cape. Interestingly, knowledgeable sources quote Aquilifers as being bare-headed and they certainly appear so on carvings etc. Mind you, in the thick of a mob of mad Celts, I'd be wanting a bear, never mind his skin ;)

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Thanks all

Phil