1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Pegaso 90mm Teutonic Knight.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jeff T, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Hi all,

I have been working on Pegaso's 90mm Teutonic Knight, and thought I would post as a WIP. This is where I am up to at the moment.

I am painting mainly in acrylics, with enamels being used for the metal areas.The boots are only base coated at the moment in oils, I was was trying the paint on scrub off method, but have to do some highlighting and shading, plus I wanted them darker, so will give them a glaze of a darker brown when they are fully dry.

All comments and critiques are welcome.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Thank's for looking,
    Jeff.
  2. Mark S Guest

Beautiful work all over so far Jeff......love the work on the Teutonic cross.
    Jeff T likes this.
  3. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks a lot Mark!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Like where this one is going, some great shading there. Metals are looking great
    Ben
    Jeff T likes this.
  5. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking beaut, Jeff. Love the metals, whites and leather belt.
    The Teutonic emblem is brilliant too.
    Jeff T likes this.
  6. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    If I may add a comment, I would tone down the emblem a little bit because it pops out too much compared to the rest of the figure.
    Redcap, Wings5797 and Jeff T like this.
  7. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for commenting fella's, much appreciated!

Yes Alex, I agree....I have already given it a couple of glazes of a buff colour to tone it down a bit, but it could certainly do with some more.Thank you very much for the feedback!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    excellent job so far.
    Marc
    Wings5797 and Jeff T like this.
  9. Macca G A Fixture

Australia
    Looking good Jeff, the leathers are looking great
    Jeff T likes this.
  10. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    One of the best action 90mm's Jeff and you're doing it proud.
    Looking forward to seeing your toned down progress (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    Jeff T likes this.
  11. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks a lot for the comments and likes gents!... Very much appreciated!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  12. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Hey all,

A bit more progress on the Knight.

I have attached the sword and dagger and done a bit more shading as well as finished off the boots.The white is a very hard colour for me to photograph, I have left the images a tad dark because whenever I try to lighten them, it just washes out the shading.I have tried out a dozen different combinations, but still not happy with any of them.

Anyway, this is how it stands so far.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

All comments and criticism welcome!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  13. Ferris A Fixture

That's very nice work indeed Jeff. Very nice shading, very smooth, and the detail painting is very sharp. Will be a stunning result for sure.

One suggestion I would make is to slightly stretch the highlights and shades by adding, in very few selected places, very dark shadow tone and very light highlights. For the shadow I am thinking about the folds that will be under the arms and around the belt and in places where the cloack folds back on itself. For highlights I think about the area around the left leg (where the cloack opens, around that edge and on the spot under the belt where the opening closes) and above the belt area.
    I really mean minimal touches within the existing highlights and shades, to darken or lighten certain spots ever so slightly, but in my view it can give just that little extra 'pop'.

At the end of the day I admit it is a matter of personal preference, so feel free to ignore my remarks. The figure will be a stunner either way.

Cheers,
    Adrian
    gforceman likes this.
  14. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks very much Adrian!

Great advice, I will try and add those touches, plus I am going to highlight the very tips of the top of the fur as well later, just wanted to try and get a bit more of the lower part of the figure done so I can start work on the cape or whatever the correct name for it is, but I am quickly getting sick of painting so much white!

Thanks again Adrian, you always have great advice and it is very much appreciated!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  15. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Look very good so far.
    Cheers
    John
    Jeff T likes this.
  16. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The progress you have made so far is fabulous

This is an otstanding piece already.

The leather work in paarticular is beautifully judged.

I'm so looking forward to the final version.

A lot of planeteers will benefit from seeing your method and style.

Thanks for sharing.

Paul
    Jeff T likes this.
  17. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks a lot for the comments John and Paul!.......much appreciated fella's!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  18. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Ok, bit more progress.

I have attached the arms, hands/sword and cape.

I have painted the inside of the cape, and now have to start on the outside, but I have noticed some surface pitting that I had not noticed before that I will have to take care of first.

Anyway, here's how it stands at the moment.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now to start on the outside of the cape.
    [IMG]

Thanks for looking, and as usual, all comments and criticisms welcome.

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
  19. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Coming along beautifully, Jeff. Superb painting mate
    Jeff T likes this.
  20. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    White are perfect

For the pitting, you could also just paint it that way and use the little small dents as holes in the cape.. I mean, in the field, I am pretty sure that those capes were not in pristine condition !
    Jeff T likes this.