1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Pay-pal phishing.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by housecarl, Apr 11, 2011.

1. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Received this phishing E mail today:

Hello customer,

We need your help solving a problem with your account. To give us time to
    work together on this, we have temporarily limited what can be done with you
    account until the matter is resolved.

We understand it can be frustrating to not have full access to your PayPal
    account. We want to work with you to get your account back to normal
    soon as possible.

What is the problem?

We want you to check to make sure that no one connected to your
    account without your permission.

To do this we have attached a form to this email. Please download the form and follow the
    instructions on your screen. NOTE: The form needs to be opened in a modern browser which has
    javascript enabled (ex: Internet Explorer 7, Firefox 3, Safari 3, Opera 9)

If you see a payment that does not acknowledge, let us know by going to
    Resolution Center. Click the "challenge a transaction" to report an unauthorized
    transaction.

Case ID Number: PP-001-186-092-511

How you can help

It's usually pretty easy to take care of things like that. Most
    time, we just need a little more information about your account or the most recent
    transactions.

Please send the attached form to confirm
    Resolution Center.

Thanks,
    PayPal
    All very well done, with the Pay-Pal logo. I've reported it to them. Although there was a great temptation to reply calling them t**ts:p, the phishers, not Pay-pal. Although some may think they are as well, I know I do.:p
    They are amongst us,:confused:
    Carl.

2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Carl ,
    I have had this a couple of times , reported it and then deleted the annoying mail , like you say very well done and looks genuine but isn't .

So a good move to post this as I am sure that others worldwide have had this a well

Nap

(tugging my forelock to Mr B;))
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I've even gotten snail mail from domain registrars posed as a bill, tricking me into switching my domains.

Sneaky buggers :|
  4. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Got the same one recently myself, did the same as Nap.

Barrie.
  5. socko47 Active Member

United-States
    I use Paypal infrequently, but when I do, I seem to get one of these Phishing emails a day or so later. I always forward it to PayPal's fraud division at spoof@paypal.com
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    I spent 7 1/2 years as tech support and custom website designer for the website hosting department within Teleflora, and I can't tell you how many times I got calls from folks wanting to know why their domain name ran out, or why they've received this "bill" when they are certain their domain name is paid-up until "XYZ" date. Only to find out after a quick check with our registrar, that they already had responded to one of these letters and was completely unaware that their domain name had changed registrars! Very sneaky IMO. These companies rely on the naive in order to perpetuate their business, nothing more deceitful in my mind...

Jay H.
  7. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    carl, yeah, i got that one. also seen this on credit cards. these people have nothing to do but sit around all day and figure out ways to steal money from people who earn it honestly. imho, they are despicable! bill
  8. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Many thanks Carl!