1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Paul Blaber Bust 80th Regiment Staffordshire Vols.

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Richie, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    This is my first bust purchase from Telford and I thought I would open the box on this Paul Blaber (pF own blabsy) bust. The bust depicts an 80th Staffordshire Regiment soldier from the 1879 Zulu War. Packaged in a sturdy dual wall cardboard box, the pieces are in a zip lock bags and further protected with bubble wrap.
    CIMG5249.JPG
    This is a 1/9 scale bust cast in 3 light beige resin pieces, comprising of the head, torso and stand. Probably most of us would discard the resin stand in favour of a nice base to compliment the bust. Other items within the box are acompliment sheet with Paul's webite info www.paulblaber1.moonfruit.com why not take a look at his other releases. A piece of metal foil for making the Glengarry ribbons and a colour reference photograph of the rear. You could use the colour illustration on the front of the box as your painting guide.
    CIMG5250.JPG
    The quality of the bust is excellent with only 3 casting lugs to remove. One across the front of the shirt, one on the rear of the neck and Glengarry.
    CIMG5251.JPG CIMG5254.JPG
    Both the head and body are keyed for easy placement and correct alignment of the head to torso.
    CIMG5253.JPG
    The face epitomises the Victorian soldier, packed with loads of character for the painter to get stuck into. The cast is clean, crisp and flawless and will be a joy to work on, even for a novice like me.
    CIMG5255.JPG CIMG5256.JPG CIMG5257.JPG CIMG5258.JPG

This one shows how the bust would be set off on a quality wooden base.
    CIMG5260.JPG
    In conclusion a cracking little bust from one of our hobbies up and coming sculptor's Paul Blaber. I can only say I am so glad I purchased this and for the price of £23 it would make a fantastic addition to anyone's collection. Very pleased as a customer.
    cheers
    Richie
    Mark Dollery and Wings5797 like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Great review Richie, thank you for posting it.
    As a Guy from my home town and friend of my partners family, I have watched Pauls work progress with interest. He is getting better with every piece he produces.
    I really like this subject and period. My only comment on this one, and it may just be the lighting, is that the glengarry looks to sit away from the forehead a little. Having the figure in your hand what do you think?
    Cheers Mate,
    Keith
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Richie I saw your one of these at Teleford it is a nice looking sculpt for sure.

Steve
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Richie ,
    Thanks for the thread and review , good to see this close up ...I have ordered this and the Seaman from Paul , some nice busts from Mr B and such reasonable prices as well .

I noticed thee is a rather nice looking Cossack as well ...oh so tempted !!!

Looking forward to seeing more from you on this

Nap
  5. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    good review, Richie, on a nice bust, Can't wait to see it painted
    Mark (y)
  6. Hawk_Uk PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Richie,

It was nice to meet you at Telford.

For those interested in seeing this bust up close I will have it and the rest of the range on my stand at the forth coming Bugle Call 2012 show in Bath.
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Keith - It does sit slightly away but I think this is how he intended it. Honestly I would not be put off by this otherwise I would have left it on the stand, it is a bust packed with character.

Hi Steve - Thanks for chipping in and confirming it is a nice sculpt.

Hi Nap - You will not be disappointed and I thought that Trooper of Paul's was fantastic. Again a face with such character, if I ever diversify I will have that one for sure.

Hi Mark - Thanks mate, it will have to go to the back of the queue at the moment, but I am looking forward to having a go at my first bust(y)

Hi John - Nice to see you too and thank you for carrying Paul's range.

cheers
    Richie
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Thats good news Richie, thanks for the info.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  9. Dennis Active Member

England
    Thanks for posting this Richie. Right up your street I would say. This looks a beaut, hope you bring it along to Sword & Lance next year.
    Dennis
  10. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dennis,
    Mate, I have no idea what you mean:whistle:..... too right it is. If I can get them finished I will bring not only this little gem, but a few others aswell. Have you initiated the new 1879 category yet;)
    cheers
    Richie
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

I have today received this bust and teh Boatswain bust from Paul ....I am not dissapointed , sculpting is great , presentation really good (nice touch adding the thank youinsert , minmal prep needed and great subjects .

I ordered on Tuesday , confirmation e mail and I received on Wednesday ....can't get no better than this .:)(y)

I for one will be watching Paul Blber for the next from him

Well done Paul Blaber Miniatures.

Nap ...a well happy guy:)