1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Part 2-New Stuff

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Oct 28, 2005.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Here's another figure I'd like to show.

He's an American soldier from the War of 1812.

He was inspired by a Troiani subject in his painting of them at the battle of Northpoint in 1814.

He was built with Aves epoxy putty. This was my first sculpt with this brand and I'm really liking it. The head is from Hornet. I changed the mouth a little to give it more expression. The musket is a Shenandoah conversion into a flintlock.

Thanks for looking!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. fsdesimone Member

Hey Jason,

How different from MS would you say it is? I tried some Aves, but it must have been an old batch or something because it was all weird and crumbley... very hard to use.

Extremely nice figures btw, especially the Rhode Island guy.

Francesca
  3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Francesca,

Aves is much more sticky than MS when first mixed. It gives a little more working time too. But when cured it's like rock. Very nice to carve and sand. Superior to MS in that respect. I like the fact that it's white rather than the cream/transparent color of MS. The only down side is that it can break up on you when rolling into "strings" for laces and such. Therefore I would add a little Duro to the mix.
    Aves will be my choice of putty from now on.

Jason
  4. fsdesimone Member

Jason,

I remember someone on another board did a heat test with the two putties and discovered that MS withstood high temps better than Aves which ended up sagging a little. Not sure if that's a real consideration unless one speed-dries the putty in a crockpot or something.

Also, MS does now come in white and it's a little stickier than the greyish-green formula.

I'll give Aves another try down the road at some point if it carves/sands better though.

Francesca
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, I sometimes put the work under a desk lamp with a 60 bulb positioned about 2-4 inches from the work. If the lamp is positioned just right the area(s) is easily cured in 1-2 hours, after which I'm able to go in and add more material or begin carving (strong point). I've had mixed results with oven baking and stay away from it.~Gary
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jason,

Sorry i missed this one, i don't know why.
    That are beuatifull sculpted and painted figure's.
    Great work,

Marc
  7. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    EXCELLENT STUFF,Jason (y) (y) (y) !!!! Thanks for sharing them with us. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  8. Automata Member

United-States
    Jason,

Thanks for the mix. I'll be trying that on a couple of figures I have in mind.

Barry
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Great stuff Jason. Your sculpting is so nice and clean. I too am a big Aves fan and have used it pretty much exclusively for the last year or so.