1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Part 2-New Stuff

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Oct 28, 2005.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Hi again, all!

Here's some more figures I built over the summer. I'll start off with a
    particular favorite of mine, Brigadier General George Sears Greene.
    [IMG]
    Greene was one of many un-sung heroes of the Battle of Gettysburg.
    A descendant of Nathanael Greene, George Washington's second-in-command, "Old Man Greene" was age 62 during the Battle. He commanded a veteran brigade of New Yorkers in the Army of the Potomac's XII Corps' Second Division.

Greene led no glorious charge and his name is rarley mentioned today as one of the "heroes" of the Battle. But his actions on the Federal right flank at Culp's Hill, was no less significant than his comrade on the left holding Little Round Top, Colonel Joshua Chamberlain.

Greene arrived at Culp's Hill on the morning of July 2 and immediatley realized his position needed breastworks. He was a civil engineer before the war and the spot he was posted put his talents to work. The Culp's Hill area was ideal for defense. Tall, mature trees blanketed the hill and the rocks (some the size of a car) made excellent protection. I should also add that he was graduated second in his class at West Point. And as many know, West Point produced excellent engineers.

To make a long story short, Greene's men, along with elements of the XI and I Corps, held off repeated attacks throughout the Battle. If it were not for his quick actions of fortifying that hill, the Battle may have ended differently.

The past couple visits to Culp's Hill gave me inspiration to build a figure of the General. He's been described as looking more like a "kindly preacher" than a soldier and could be at times be mistaken for a farmer! It was all this that got me started on the project....And getting a chance to sculpt that wild beard!

I used a Hornet head. The body is made of Magic Sculp. Painted with acrylics.

Thanks for looking!
    [IMG]
  2. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, that is terrific. The Union defense of Culp's Hill is a story that deserves telling and the unsung heros of that defense should be portrayed.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Great job on Greene, one of many unsung heroes of the Battle of Gettysburg. I was fortunate enough to spend some time walking the battlefield with Jason this Summer and I'm sure we'll see some more Gettysburg related pieces.~Gary
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic work Jason.
  6. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Jason, that's just excellent...I love the way you've captured his image and pose. Beautiful sculpting.

All the best....Roy.
  7. Djoubri M Well-Known Member

France
    wonderful work .
  8. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Excellent work. Now how can we get you to come to Atlanta in February?

Best of Everything, Terry Martin
  9. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks! Appreciate the kind words.

Terry, I can't make the 2006 show but I plan on 2007.

Jason
  10. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    I should mention that Gary was a huge help with additional information... And on practically ALL my projects this summer!

Thanks pard!
  11. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Here's another figure of a black soldier from one of the Rhode Island regiments 1780's.

Thanks again, Gary for the additional information. :)

The head is from Hornet and the musket is a converted Shenandoah.
    Magic Sculp was used for the body.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  12. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Painted version~

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  13. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Terrific figures Jason.

John
  14. Automata Member

United-States
    Jason,

Again, fantastic work. The Rhode Islander is my favorite of those you had at Chicago. Do you mind giving your flesh mixes for him?

Barry
  15. LCoote New Member

Australia
    I always love seeing your work Jason, Excellent!!!
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Superb figures, Jason!

All the best,
    Dan
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, You're welcome, No problem.
  18. Hammond_Lord Active Member

I agree with others, your figures are remarkable! Your subtle layers of paint and variety of dark and light tones make your figures lifelike! Can you share some advices about painting, especially painting face and flesh parts?

Regards,

Nemanja
  19. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Barry!

Sorry for the late reply.

The colors I used are as follows:
    Vallejo 941 Burnt Umber for base color.
    " 984 Flat Brown for first highlight.
    " 875 Beige Brown for second highlight.
    " 843 Cork Brown for last highlight.
    " 814 Burnt Cad. Red mixed w/ Dark Blue Grey for lips.

Thats right...no shadow colors! I didn't want to get too crazy with the face. Less is more with this fleshtone. And I was happy with how it turned out.

Jason
  20. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wow! Thanks Nemanja!

No advice really. Painting fleshtones with any medium takes extreme patience.
    With acrylics be sure to unload your brush ALOT. Don't be afraid to experiment with different mixes. And practice, practice, practice! :)

Here's an excellent article on face painting w/ acrylics by our friend Jaume Ortiz.
    http://www.planetfigure.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1185