1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Panzer grenadier officer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by gforceman, May 18, 2004.

1. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi guys,

A Spanish friend of mine (who is a MUCH better painter than I am) asked me to paint this figure for him. In return he will paint a Pegaso celt figure for me (yes I'm the lucky one). It's a 1/35th Hornte figure cast in resin. The face is almsot finished. i will make some minor changes to it, once the kepi is finished. i find that I only see if the face is "right" when something close to the face is finished too.

As always all hints, tips and comments are very welcome,

Gino.

[IMG]
  2. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    It looks really good,Gino (y) ;you're just being modest ! Looking forward to the next step in the series.Cheers.
    Kenneth ;)
  3. Pete_H New Member

What camouflage scheme are you planning for the smock? It would be interesting to see your approach to painting camo.

P.S - that's not a kepi he's wearing.
  4. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Looks promising Gino.

Perhaps some more distinctive highlights on the areas where you have painted the "six a clock" shadow.

Its hard for me tell when the pics are enlarged så much.
  5. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

I thought it might be intresting for some to show how I paint a fieldcap in acrylics. Please let me know if this is intresting or boring. Should it be popular I shall then do more posts like this on other clothing/colours.
    I just hope the pictures are clear/big enough, but this is the best I can do at the moment.

Picture 1

HThe fieldcap in it's basecolour, which is a mix of Black , Old Rose and French Mir. Blue.
    [IMG]

Picture2

The highlights are applied. i simply added more Old Rose to the mix and some Beige for the final layers. The paint should be thinned till it runs like milk.

[IMG]

Picture 3

Shading is finished. I used straigft black, thinned till it runs like a soda.

[IMG]

Picture 4

The details are all outlined, using pure black which is thinned only a little. All details are finnished now too. I've dusted the cap a bit by applying thin layers of English uniform and Khaki. (All paints are Vallejo)

[IMG]

That's it. Should anyone have some questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I will answer as quick as possible..

Lot's of fun,

Gino.
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I find it very interesting Gino. Thanks for the sbs and I hope you post more steps like this one.
  7. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gino,

I always enjoy your figures and thanks for the sbs and the paint colors. (y)

Joe
  8. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Hi Gino
    I love it!
    More,please!...
  9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    I agree with the others,Gino,an excellent SBS article (y) ! More please ! Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  10. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Gino great work. The face has a really good grizzled look to it. Excellent.
  11. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi guys,

thanks for the nice comments. I'll try to make posts like this as often as possible.

Have fun painting,

Gino.
  12. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

I have been painting on this figure a bit this afternoon. I thought it might intrest someone to show how I did it by showing some pics. I hope someone has some use from it.

Greetz,

Gino.

Foto1:

Her I painted the base on in three thinn coats. This way no details get obscured which often happens when using one thick coat of paint. I used Confederate grey by Andrea.

[IMG]

foto 2 & 3

Here the highlights are painted. First I mixed some Sunny Skintone (Vallejo) to the basecolour. Next I mixed Deck Tan (VA) to the basecolour, then pure Deck Tan. Next step was Deck Tan with Titanium White (Polycolour) and finally pure Titanium White.
    Front:

[IMG]

Back:

[IMG]

Foto 4 & 5:

Now I've painted on the shadows. For this I used thinned Black (PC) which I applied in about 5 thin layers. Extreme highlights and shadows will only be painted on once the camo is in place. But that is, as they say, a whole different story which I'll explain in my nexy posting on this subject.

front:

[IMG]

Back:

[IMG]
  13. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Gino, very nice, I like the facial colors,especially the 5 o'clock shadpw.

Keep up the good work.

Roc, :)
  14. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    GREAT WORK,Gino (y) (y) !! Looking forward to the next step.Cheers.
    Kenneth :lol:
  15. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Hey Gino, I certainly like your painting style but I'd really like to see some clearer pictures, these are too grainy, what camera settings do you use?
  16. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi Leigh,

I wish I knew what I'm doing wrong, because I want to make beter pictures. i'm using an HP935 on Macro, without a flash. I use a tripod, and two 500 watt halogenelamps. When the pictures are on my pc I go to photoshop where I autolevel. Then I use "save for web" where I take the original picture (not optimal) Quality is at 100, and I put the size to about 400 * 300 pixels. This I then upload to photbucket. The original picture is taken at over 2000 pixels in width.

Any help on taken pictures will be much apreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Best wishes,

Gino.
  17. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Gino, I'm certainely no expert when it comes to photography, but I usually take my pictures at 2048 x 1536 pixels which is the second lowest setting on my camera.
    All I do then is crop the image with photo editing software and depending on what it is, depends on whether I need to reduce the size of the image or not.
    For example if it's just the head that I want I don't need to reduce the image size after cropping, however for a picture of a full figure, after cropping I reduce the image down to 70% or something like that.
    It seems pretty simple but that's all I do.
  18. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking great so far Gino!
  19. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi all,

I thought it might intrest some of you how I paint a camo jacket in acryllics. I know I'm no good when it comes to painting camo (or anything else for that matter), but maybe some of you can use it. Anyway, I have based the painting on a pic I found on the net. I now just hope it isn't the wrong camo for this figure.

As always I would love to hear all your comments.
    Gino.

Pic1:

[IMG]

I've just painted on the green camo spots in this pic using Luftwaffe camo green (VA823) gebruikt.

Pic2:

[IMG]

The grren spots being highlighted. I first mixed Sunny Skin Tone to the base colour, later adding Beige.

PIC3:

[IMG]

The green spots are shaded. Herefor I've just added black to the base colour. The extreme shadows and highlights are not painted yet. this will be done once the complete camo in on.

Pic4:

[IMG]

The brown camo is painted on using GermanCamo Medium Brown (VA826)

Pic5:

[IMG]

The brown is highlighted using Flat Brown (VA984) to which I first addedSunny Skin Toneand later some Beige.

Pic6:

[IMG]

The brown is shaded with German Camo Black Brown.(VA968)

Pic7:

[IMG]

The finished jacket (altough I will make some small changes; I just know myself) Flat Green (VA968) was used for the small green stripes. After that I did the extreme highlights using pure white in a very dilluted way. this was applied in several layers. Shadows were done the same way using black.

Next time I will be painting leather items.

I want to apologize in advance for the not so good quality of my pics, but that's just the best my camera can do. Or I must be using it wrong?
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Facinating work Gino..........thanks for posting these steps.