1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Panic buying.....not me !

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by fogie, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The media do love a good scare story (which breeds panic), and politicians then have to be "seen to be doing something" (which may or may not be effective, but either way it inevitably breeds even more panic) and so the cycle continues.

The last time anything similar happened was with swine flu in 2008/2009 but social media is a lot bigger now than it was then, and that feeds into it as well. So the whole panic/reaction snowball is getting bigger, faster this time round.

Swine flu wound up killing about 200,000 people globally at its height and it's still doing the rounds now and presumably killing people as well (as are various other flu viruses and even common colds). But everyone's currently so fixated on this new kid on the lurgy block that everything else is getting overlooked. And I don't recall swine flu getting anything like the coverage this one is getting.

Also, they waste no time in reporting the number of new coronavirus cases (and a handful of deaths) every day, but maybe if we also heard more about the tens of thousands of people who have recovered after being infected with this coronavirus, there would be a bit more perspective and a bit less panic.

I'm not saying just ignore it, but panic and overreaction risk doing more harm than good in the long run.

- Steve
    Blind Pew, HansDig, housecarl and 6 others like this.
  2. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Just heard today that the Football Association has ordered all Premiership & EFL games postponed until April 5th, so at least I won’t have to worry about Wednesday losing another game this weekend.........
    Nap likes this.
  3. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Funny I was thinking the exact same thing ... at this rate they could go almost a month unbeaten! :ROFLMAO:

I'm an Owl myself by the way, I've followed them through thin and thinner ever since my Dad took me to my first ever match in 1972!

- Steve
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  4. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    I am worried about World Expo.....:( - still some time to go but already within reach of the estimated timeframe of the countermeasures
  5. Ferris A Fixture

Oh crap, World Expo! Now I panic!
    Blind Pew likes this.
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Yes - that's the same here in Germany!

People buy like crazy! Especially pasta, toilet paper and disinfectants!
    But what to do with it when an absolute emergency occurs?

Here is the solution ...:

1. Toilet paper sushi with noodle filling

[IMG]

Cut toilet paper cardboard rolls into pieces. Then fill to taste with not too softly cooked pasta and paste from wet toilet paper. Form a bale of wet toilet paper for toilet paper nigiri sushi. Then cover with a soaked strip of toilet paper cardboard. Dip in disinfectant for perfect sushi enjoyment.

2. Pasta bake with toilet paper gratin

[IMG]

Pre-cook the pasta al dente. Place in layers in a baking dish coated with disinfectant. Place toilet paper between the layers. Garnish with toilet paper cardboard at the top. Bake in a preheated oven at 150 degrees for 30 minutes.

Pasta with toilet paper sauce

[IMG]

Cook the pasta. Soak the toilet paper in water until it becomes a viscous mass and heat. Finally, if necessary, season with disinfectant.

One survives with that, but after two days at the latest you wish you had already died ...!

Enjoy your meal!
    Chrisr and Old Pete like this.
  7. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    We’ve got to keep the faith, even if it does mean having to watch what seems like a never-ending losing streak at the moment.
    Still, it’s not a place we haven’t been before.......

I’ve also got a ticket for a Northern Soul weekender in the New Forest on the 28th, to see Angelo Starr (Edwin’s younger brother & a fantastic musician) & I’ve got a nasty feeling that might get cancelled too. KTF & KOKO!
    Babelfish likes this.
  8. jai A Fixture

Italy
    I'm not really a handful. The Italian average deaths from flu is 20/30 per day ... 100 in the winter peak ... yesterday, 250 deaths per covid-19 were added to this number
  9. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    And my other points?

Like I said ... "I'm not saying just ignore it, but panic and overreaction risk doing more harm than good in the long run."

But you go ahead and panic if you want to.

- Steve
    megroot and Chris Oldfield like this.
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I haven't been to a match in about 4 years now but at various times I've been a semi-regular / regular at Hillsborough (and the occasional away match) and there have been occasional highlights. But over the years I've lost count of the number of times I have stood (and latterly sat) on that Kop and watched the Owls snatch a draw from the jaws of a win or a defeat from the jaws of a draw :ROFLMAO:. Still follow the results avidly though and like you say, gotta keep the faith!

- Steve
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Remember when Self Isolating was called Staying In......;)
    Helm, Blind Pew, Jeff T and 3 others like this.
  12. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    DEL likes this.
  13. jai A Fixture

Italy
    1) I'm not panicking
    2) I don't speak English and it is difficult to answer all the points. if you want later I do it
    3) I'm just saying not to take the disease lightly as it seems (seen from here) the British government is taking their advisors and television doctors
  14. Nap Moderator

England
  15. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Jai I don't think anyone is taking it lightly quite the reverse.
    It's just doing our best to try to, as far as possible, normalise abnormal circumstances.
    There will be very few of us unaffected in one way or another by this pandemic.
    My brother in law's elderly parents live in Padova and his father requires weekly hospital visits. He is dreading the worst.but has to get on with life. Tough times.
  16. jai A Fixture

Italy
    reassure him, older people are healing if you follow a few rules there is no great risk
    DEL and Nap like this.
  17. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Last time I went to see the Owls play was at Selhurst Park in 2008 when I lived in Croydonia, they defeated Palace 4-2 then. Neil Warnock (remember him....) was managing Palace at that time, & the Owls faithful kept up a steady stream of abuse for the entire 90 minutes of the game (including half-time) AND they also went topless, as is their custom.
    Glory days like that still inspire me, even during goal droughts like we’re experiencing right now.
    Babelfish likes this.
  18. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Cornona.jpg

IMG_1509.JPG

I'm sorry but I'm with Marc. Looking at the total madness that has been created by the press and the (social ?) media I can't help asking myself who is profeting from all this.........
    It shows the madness of today's ( mostly Western ) people and their complete lack of capability to put things into perspective. How many % of the world population is now suffering from Corona and what percentage of the world population has died from it ? I rest my case.

ps...I tried to contact International Rescue but Tracy Island is locked down. Jeff sneezed...
  19. polyphemus Well-Known Member

caution, may contain offensive language;

Geoff
    HansDig likes this.
  20. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Customary mixed reactions to this one. The fact is that when the real crisis comes, none of us here knows how we will
    behave as a nation. We like to believe that the old 'stiff upper lip' will take effect, and we will show ourselves at our best.
    A global pandemic must surely be met by global cooperation. Instead many of our leaders across Europe and the US are
    adopting an individually selfish attitude, so perhaps these days we are only capable of behaving at our worst. I hope not.

Mike
    OldTaff likes this.