Pallate, White or Grey?

Discussion in 'Oils' started by Geraint, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Geraint Member

I am using a white tile to mix my oils on, but have also heard that a grey colour is better. Any thoughts, and if grey, what colour grey? Thanks.
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I honestly cannot for the life of me see what possible difference the tile colour would make.

Ron
  3. Geraint Member

I have been watching Milan Dufek and he has recently swapped from a white tile to a glass sheet with grey card on the reverse. Also, I saw an artist do the same so just wondered if there was a reason to it, and what other painters here do?
    kagemusha likes this.
  4. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Glass is often used...and the only reason I can think of for the card would be to better see the colours/mixes on the glass.
    He possibly just forgot his white tile on the day.

Ron
    Nap likes this.
  5. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I use a white tile myself.
    Why don't you PM Milan Dufek.
    His PF username is 'Taiko'.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Nap likes this.
  6. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I cant really see what difference it makes - Ive used a buff tile, white tile and an oatmeal tile - whatever I could find at the time - I think some people tend to overthink this and try to turn something really simple into a dark art....!!(y)
  7. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Folks

Agree with Steves comments ..can't see it making much difference ....but perhaps colours are more vibrant on a white tile .....whatever you are happy using

Happy benchtime

Nap
  8. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The reason for using a grey pallet is the same reason that artists often lay down a wash on a blank canvas - It makes judging colour accurately easier.:)

Try it for yourself by painting a square of primary colour (red, yellow or mid blue) in the middle of a white sheet of paper and then use the same colour to paint onto a pale grey sheet of the same size. You will notice how the colours appear slightly different - (This can be used to good effect for instance to paint the bright yellow in a fire: Starting from a red and painting rings of brighter colour gradually becoming yellow in the centre alters the way we perceive the yellow compared to putting the same yellow on,say, a white background.

Whether or not it is worth it will depend on your colour perception and experience in colour judgement, but it should make life easier . . .

In answer to your question the grey should be a light 'neutral' grey (ie. not blue/green or red grey)

Hope that helps
    Paul
    Chrisr and Nap like this.