1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting WWII German field grey uniforms in JS acrylics

Discussion in 'Acrylics' started by Chris Kelm, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Chris Kelm Active Member

United-States
    Hi everyone, I would like to know when using JS acrylics can anyone please tell me what the colors are the make the German field grey color as well as the shadow, mid tone and highlight colors for the German uniforms? Thank you.
  2. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Hello Chris,

I use "Olive Green" + "French Blue" to make base Field grey. It is bit dark field grey so you should light up adding warm white or naples yellow.
    Eludia likes this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I just found this on a quick google images search. It may help you get into the right ballpark but as you can see there is a lot of variation so plenty of room for maneuvre. I'd also start with a grey blue (like the French Blue Kaz mentioned) and give it a little nudge towards green with maybe some yellow ochre (I think it's called Yellow Oxide in JS) or a muted green like Olive or Moss green.

This may or may not work, I am not an acrylics guru as oils are my main medium, so take my advice with a healthy dose of salt.

image.jpeg
    pmfs and Martin64 like this.
  4. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Yes Billy is right, there's "50 shades of field grey". :)

In my opinion, field grey is greenish grey, so you can mix it from any kind of grey + green.
    I also use some similar recipe of Billy's oil recipe, first mix grey from Carbon Black and White, then add some kind of greenish colours such as Ultramarine blue + Yellow Oxide.
  5. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    verlinden gave a good uniform mix for german uniforms in one of his first books,i cant remember which one,it was the one with a crew loading the nebelwerfer. if you find it , the mix I mean, please forward it to me, thank you/badger.