1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting Wood

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by stev1eran, Jan 1, 2006.

1. stev1eran Member

Hi all,

I am after some advice again :)
    I am painting Stormtroopers Officer of Hussars, The Great Retreat, one of the areas that I have not yet mastered is painting wood whether it is on a rifle or in this case on the pistols.
    I have undercoated the areas in humbrol tan and I am now ready for working with the oils.
    Have any of you good fellows got any tips?
    Thanks

Steve
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I usually use Mars Brown, Mars Yellow, and Burnt Umber. I alternate stripes of those three colors on the undercoat. Then, I blend them together slightly trying to maintain the seperate colors. Sometimes I will drag the colors in some places to simulate the waviness of the grain. If you use this technique be careful not to overblend.
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Steve,
    Is this the 54mm figure? If so, I'm working on that figure as well, I don't use oils, but what I have done, in acrylics sounds simmilar to what you are doing, I undercoated with flesh and then did a coat (or two) of mahagony brown thin enough for the flesh to show thru, but still giving the impression of finished wood and finally a satin coat. If the figure you are working on is 120mm or their bust, it should still work.
  4. stev1eran Member

Thanks guys,
    I will give it a go :)
    Matthew - the figure is Stormtroopers 120mm

Steve