1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting womens faces

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Lam31, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Lam31 Member

Hi all, after completing a few 1/10 and 1/9 scale busts I'm about to start Nuts Planet Mother of Dragons 1/10 bust. This will be my first attempt at a female figure, is there much difference in the skin tones and should there much shading and highlights?
    theBaron likes this.
  2. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Liam
    I don't have any hard and fast techniques but regardless of ethnic background, I would go with a lighter base and less variation/range of shade to highlights than you would normally use for male skin.
    Paul
    clrsgt likes this.
  3. Lam31 Member

Thanks Paul, did some research on youtube, watched Painting Buddha's Nuts Planet Shield Maiden video. It confirms the light base and tones and very subtle transition. Now the fun begins, trying to achieve it!
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

You might also have a look at the Life Miniatures website as there is a download on painting a female tanker bust ...not SM I know but it's a great SBS

Happy painting

Nap
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I've always kept a general tip in my mind, from Shep Paine's books, that a woman's skin tones--or a child's--are generally lighter than a man's, so keep the basic skin tone lighter, and go softer on shadows.

Prost!
    Brad
    clrsgt likes this.
  6. Lam31 Member

Thanks guy, will check out the SBS guide Nap.
    Cheers