1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting with acrylics using the sketching technique

Discussion in 'Acrylics' started by John strachan, Apr 6, 2019.

1. John strachan Well-Known Member

Firstly, flat black primer drybrushed with flat white to pick out the highlights.

Next, pick out the contrast areas using reds, blues, yellows, purples, whites, grey, green etc. All this is doing is providing an interesting undertone and forcing colour into an otherwise dull painted face, this is the process known as sketching.

Next we layer with a variety of extremely thin washes of various skin tones i usually start with a dark skin tone wash, then work up to a base flesh colour always adding thin detailing as I go to replace shadows and highlights.

Once this overall effect is complete and you are happy with the coverage, put away the water and replace with glaze medium to mix with the acrylics.

Now is a good time to protect your hard work by adding a layer of matte varnish.

From now on, the technique is exactly the same as everyone else’s out there, slowly layer the highlights with ever increasing lighter tones until happy with the effect.

Glaze medium will give a few more seconds to blend, and if required a very slight satin finish to the face if required.

So there it is in a nutshell, I’ve no idea why this creates such interest, as it’s a really simple technique to use, good luck with it.

287490F9-5CC3-4C06-9F95-995654F97C43.jpeg E5BBBD7D-43DA-4EC9-9D70-DEB241AC9129.jpeg C37D21EA-5420-494B-9FA0-E44DF77AF529.jpeg 9BD9DA64-BD50-4FFF-B1E4-CB5321B3C3BD.jpeg D181FAED-0C40-49E3-834E-E043CAC297DA.jpeg 2B14F3D9-9110-4E4E-A0B4-6AF87C5D41F5.jpeg
    Ferris, Martin64, John Bowery and 6 others like this.
  2. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Really helpful. Thanks.

Jeff
    John strachan likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very helpful and I appreciate you putting the time in to show how it's done.
    Hopefully it will improve my painting.
    Cheers
  4. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi John

Thanks from me ....this looks a dark art to me ....But is it effective

Appreciate your time

Nap
  5. John strachan Well-Known Member

Glad to be of assistance fellas!