1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting with Acrylics in high temperate ..a question

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Nap, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi everyone

With this heatwave is anyone having problems with acrylic paint drying glossy rather than matt

Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome

Nap
    Viking Bob likes this.
  2. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

Hello Nap,
    No problems here mate as I have not picked up a hairy stick during this hot weather but now the rain has finally arrived, I may. Do you use a wet pallette? Why not use ice cold water in the pallette.
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Cheers Bob ..yes a WP ......might keep it in the fridge if the weather gets hotter as well

I thought perhaps the paint has separated possibly due to age ...plenty of shaking should help ...with stainless steel ball bearings

Look forward to your hairy sticks in action

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom

If I kept mine in the fridge it would be eaten.
    I have only cleaned up and prepared a figure for painting and tried to sort a base.
    Fingers crossed.
    Nap likes this.
  5. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    Add drop of Matt varnish ..or just hit the thing with a bit of clear Matt when done
    Nap likes this.
  6. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Not had any problems here, just make sure that I keep the paints and figures out of direct sunlight, and use distilled water for mixing.
    Nap likes this.
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I haven't had that problem, either. I've seen it with specific acrylics from specific brands, independent of factors like the temperature and humidity. Vallejo's matte Prussian Blue, for example, dries to a glossy finish. Andrea's matte Prussian Blue doesn't. It must have to do with the Vallejo paint's formula.

Prost!
    Brad
    Nap likes this.
  8. polyphemus Well-Known Member

I've noticed that Testors Dullcote matt spray is available again in the UK from a few ebay UK sellers.

Geoff
    theBaron, Bob Orr and Nap like this.
  9. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I keep a couple of ss nuts in each of my dropper bottles but find that if they have been unused for a while that is not enough and have to take the top off and give them a good stir with a cocktail stick. I think all the matting agent goes to the bottom. I also add some distilled water to thin them a bit and make them easier to shake up with the ss nuts in them.
    Nap likes this.
  10. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Rare WW II trophies indeed! Collected by the Russians, I would expect.

Prost!
    Brad
    NeilW likes this.
  11. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Ha ha!
    theBaron likes this.
  12. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Kev,
    Have you tried adding a drop or two of Tamiya acrylic Flat Base (can't remember the XF number for it off the top of my head, but I'm sure some of the gurus will know) to your mixes? I've tried this with Vallejo on a couple of occasions & it seems to work for me.
    HTH
    Chris.
    Nap likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    THANK YOU to ALL for your replies

Nap
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  14. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    definitely encountered this problem here too in periods of hot weather, it's not standard for scalecolors to dry satin !
    my best guess is that they dry too fast.
    Nap likes this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England

Better to paint and not "drip" everywhere ...lol

Nap
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    XF-21 Flat Base.
    Not too much as it leaves a chalky residue.:eek:
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.