1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting whites...(ouch!)

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Hammond_Lord, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Hammond_Lord Active Member

Hi!

Well, I know what you'll say, this is definitely one of those questions which have been asked million times, but it's giving me a real headache. You must admit that painting of white surfaces (uniforms, tunics,etc.) requires great skill, knowledge and experience. I would really appreciate if you could write down some of your tips and tricks about this issue.

Thanks,

Nemanja
  2. Einion Well-Known Member

3. Tarok Active Member

Australia
    I found this article by Mark Bannerman particularly useful... "Painting Whites by Mark Bannerman"

My results are somewhat satisfactory, I'm not quite done so I can't show any pics yet...
  4. Mack Active Member

Italy
    First of all I have to decide if my should be a warm or a cold white. For a cold one I add to my misture a little bit of paynes grey or cobalt blue, for a warmer one I add a bit of mars yellow or gold ochre or yellow ochre, it depends by my inspiration.
    Instead of using black to the mistures, sometimes I add the sepia from rembrandt obtaining so a very attractive grey, that I will darken for the shadows with the same colour and lighting with more white for the lights, all wet on wet. After the colour is dry I begin with other lights and shadows, this process is enough long also because the white is a colour that tends to attenuate its tone and so the final and extreme lights that I put.
    This is only a very brief description of my method, hoping that it could be a little help for you.

Marco
  5. Mack Active Member

Italy
    Wow! Only now I've noticed the great John Lord of you avatar.
    Deep Purple, one of the greatest group over the world!

Bye
    Marco
  6. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
  7. Hammond_Lord Active Member

Hi!
    I want to thank all of you for answering to my post! Thanks!

Regards,

Nemanja

P.S. Yes, It's Jon Lord, alright!:) I would like if someone could sculpt a figure of him.
  8. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    "Made in Japan" is one of those albums I'd rush back into a burning building to rescue! Rock ON!