1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylics Painting USN Dress Blues...

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Showlen, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Hello- I just received this flawless "Arnold Cramer USN" bust from Michael Miniatures. My father served on the USS Monrovia and I'm trying to get this one done in time for his reunion.

I'm trying to figure out the paint scheme, base especially, as this one is going to be slightly tough for me. So, I look forward to learning a lot with this one as I haven't really done any busts yet. I have my father's dress blues for reference and obviously it is very dark, mostly black with just hints of blue (you almost can't notice the blue unless it's in the right light).

I wanted to see if I could tap into some experience here on PF and get some ideas on how to go about the mixes. Should I just start as I normally would with the black mixes for base, and highlight and shade with black + blue mixes? I'll be using all acrylics, mostly Vallejo. Though I do have the black and blue paint sets from Andrea. I'm not too crazy about the black set and haven't used much, but do like the blue set really well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thank you for your help!

Ronnie

USN Bust S E Lee.JPG
    outrunthedogs and MANOSe58160 like this.
  2. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I would use Prussian blue dark, mixed with black. Increasing the blue ratio for the highs and black for the shadows.
    As you're using acrylic, I'd also add either Tamiya X21 (flat base) or Reaper Anti-Shine. As blue is a notorious shiner.
    Carl.(y)
  3. Showlen Active Member

United-States
    Thank you for the info and help, Carl! Much appreciated!

Ron
  4. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You're welcome Ron.
    Carl.(y)