1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Painting Tiger Stripe camoflague SBS

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Tony Dawe, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    Understandable and it worked. I thinned the light green so that it would sort of shade from underneath. It also helped in the final wash to use the darker colour, as it only affected the light green and not the black. I know how you are with final washes and you will nail it.
    Nap and Tony Dawe like this.
  2. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks again Jim.

Last night I cracked on with the trousers. Once again, the focus is on filling the spaces between the black “lighting bolts with green patterns, being careful the ensure each pattern has a line of sandy beige colour around it. This is quite fiddle and time consuming. So far, I’ve spent about 8 hours painting the camouflage pattern, and this is just the base colour. Once I’ve completed the green patterns, I’ll go over them again with a highlight colour adding some of the sandy beige to my green mix.
    1BB7B6B1-26B5-4DAE-964B-284FC09BB745.jpeg 88E018FE-7DB9-4186-A58B-89DDB0EF6E37.jpeg
  3. Jimmy S Well-Known Member

Australia
    That does look time consuming doing it in that order, which is why I did my lighter lines last. I used them to cut into the black lines for a sharper lighting bolt or those finicky detailed jagged edges that you have done perfectly IMHO. Can't wait to see the weathering!!!! I also think the beauty of tiger stripe is that it makes other cammo patterns less daunting once you have had a go at tiger stripe!!!
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  4. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    Marvelous work, especially doing it in that order.
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  5. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    The next step is to highlight the green pattern and accentuate the surface texture of the uniform, concentrating on the upper folds and seam edges.

This was done very slowly and carefully with a 5/0 brush and with two drops of Warm White added to the green mix. I’ve also added the final colour of the pattern, a light brown/ khaki.

Now that the entire Uniform surface is covered, the full Tiger Stripe pattern can be seen. It’s still a long way from finished, as I still have shading and upper highlights to add, but you now see how my technique works.

0854A7CA-A728-46E2-9267-2D5DFD697788.jpeg BF1A32F3-B916-405F-850D-BA02F3D2CAA5.jpeg D258610E-B4D2-47EC-B643-FFC976922C37.jpeg 20055726-0C63-451C-9788-9120E5BAB4ED.jpeg
    MattMcK., Ferris, Martin64 and 4 others like this.
  6. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb work Tony.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  7. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Wow........just Wow
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  8. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    First shading steps taken. I’ve done a series of pin washes using diluted Vallejo Black Wash over the uniform. As it darkens, the contrast increases. I’ll do another wash over the shadow areas tomorrow night and then start on the upper highlights.
    27CB114C-DAF5-4EE2-A8E5-FC3491A26F0C.jpeg D53DC743-7456-4F40-97F8-8AB79705743A.jpeg 146D2CFB-49BA-4627-AF78-23198576C5B1.jpeg 29CC54DE-EDB1-4D98-8D31-24627971F3DE.jpeg 5834855C-2DB1-41BB-9E60-5E66AA344EF7.jpeg
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Tony

What to say except this is one very interesting and informative SBS ....looking at pictures , could easily be actual uniform ..even at this stage ...

Finshed it will look amazing

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  10. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Nap. Now that the tiger stripe is painted, I’m going to open a new thread on my VBench and finish the figure there.

Thanks to everyone who viewed, liked and commented on this thread.
    Nap likes this.
  11. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking great, and the figure itself is nice also (Billy Bunter face notwithstanding).

- Steve
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England

Thank you for taking the time to do the SBS ...a cracking job

Nap
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  13. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    amazing work
    Tony Dawe likes this.
  14. Tony Dawe A Fixture

Australia
    On second thoughts, this figure is unlikely to make it on my VBench. It’s not a particularly good cast and the figure itself is fat. It’s not that I don’t like the paint job, I just don’t think I have the energy to finish this piece. First and foremost this was an opportunity to try tiger stripe camo on a large scale. I’m happy with the tiger stripe so I’m ambivalent about finishing this figure.
    Mike - The Kiwi likes this.
  15. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    That's the bee's knees, superb finish.
  16. NOSAJ19 Member

Replace the HS mate. Your work with the tiger stripe is awesome & inspirational. Like your technique.