1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting style

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by robbyk9, Jan 15, 2006.

1. robbyk9 Active Member

Hello Guys

Yesterday I had a great day to see Larissa Tamberg giving instruction to paint
    with acrylics.
    The horse I painted was the subject of the lessons. Now Larissa painted a part of the horse for me as example.
    It is obvious it's painted in Sint Petersburg style. Now I was wondering How many
    styles you have in painting figures. I think there is also a Spanish style. Can anybody tell: are there differents styles like I already said and did this effect you on your way of painting.
    Second quistion is:
    if there are more styles like I mention before is this liable to a trend like sometimes happend in the art-world
    I looking forward to see reaction on this matter

[IMG]

http://www.kitpic.com/is.php?i=22057&img=IMG_0489.JPG
    http://www.kitpic.com/is.php?i=22058&img=IMG_0490.JPG

Greetings Dick ;)
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dick,

I think it is not a matter of style, but a matter how do you paint.
    It is the approach to became that effect that we all try to achive, high highlight and dark shadows, with all the difference in so much gradient's of tone as possible.
    How do you get there is not a matter of style but technic.
    Style is something what you can see when you see a figure. You can see a figure and when you can say that's a figure done by Bill Horan or Raoul Latorre. that is style. The technic is for both the same, wire with putty.
    Just my two cents.

Marc
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

Take the total number of figure modellers, divide by maybe 1.3 and that's probably about right.

Einion
  4. robbyk9 Active Member

Hi Guys

Maybe I must make my point clear. Of course it is the technic that makes the figure. But in one way or the other when you started with figure painting something attractive you to this hobby (it must be the style). I was wondering why are there more acrylics painters in Spain than in in the north of Europe. I see close by my place more oil painters. So it must be that this effect each other.
    Painting figures is a way of art that was the first thing I tought when I so all this beautiful painted and sculpt figures.
    In the art world you have differents styles as we now. I see on E-bay figures where stands: St Petersburg style painted. So in my opion you have a specific style that have a special name.
    If you see a lot of figures painted in the same style maybe it will effect you or others.
    The second thing is that if you see figures painted many many years ago there totaly different than now. So There is something happend in this world that also effect each other.
    So do I see this wrong. I like to hear your tought about this matter.

Greetings Dick ;)
  5. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Don't you mean MULTIPLY by 1.3, Einion? :lol:
  6. Einion Well-Known Member

LOL, no, I meant divide.

Einion
  7. Wlas Member

United-States
    What an interesting question. Here in the U.S. no one thinks of a proper name for a particular 'style' of painting. Sculpture is more identified with the individual who did the work. 'Style' surfaces more in sculpture. A painted figure is viewed as either good, mediocre or bad. If it's good questions usually arise about the medium and how it's applied. No one says: That's the Spanish style or that's the Neo-Latvian style. Nor do you hear: " Well, Bill's work has taken a dramatic, free flowing turn since he became a believer in the Post-Cleveland School! "
    Still the question is in it's way quite sound. The miniature is the 'canvas'. In a fashion we approach this 'canvas' with a particular 'style' in mind ( and by style I mean the learned discipline that will achieve the degree of 'reality' demanded by this artform. )
    Perhaps because we've never been pretentious enough to formally label our approaches is just another reason why the "Creative Art World" rarely looks at us.
  8. robbyk9 Active Member

Hello John

Thanks for your reply. You mention Bill's work, if I may say, in my opinion I see a different Bill dan many years ago.
    So he developed his painting style all the way. The interesting thing is have he develop his own style with no effect from the outside or is his style effected by the outside.
    I am not very long painting figures but I see a very different style done by the Spanish painters and is very different than a lot of painters of North of Europe.
    There is also a other factor that maybe the Art World looks down on us, is that in the miniature world it is commonly to have competition (factor).
    But the winner is judge by a jury, but is it not a matter af taste who win the gold medal. And I don't mention some nepotism at some competition :angry: .
    And can you judge something wich is created by a artist that is developed in his mind.
    Maybe you must let the competition go and in place of this you created a MINIATURE ART GALLERY :eek: .
    Maybe the miniature world will have more public from the outside and this will
    effected and give us more value in what we do.

Greetings Dick ;)