1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting Napoleonic uniform details?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by George123, Mar 22, 2021.

1. George123 Member

Hi Folks,

I am starting a 120mm Napoleonic Grenadier Guard General. I am attaching 3 screenshots of this kit (not mine) and was hoping I could get some tips as far as cutting in gold buttons, and other close in fabric painting you see in these photos? Some very fine lines there. Also in reality I think the gold color is probably closer to brass. Do painters use dry-brushing technique for things like the gold/brass on the collar here?

I also do not have information for the back look/ back colors of this uniform and would like to be accurate. Any help would be appreciated as I do not have books on this yet.

As always many Thanks.

I'm finishing up the Monty bust as I get this going. I'm leaving the arms and legs off for far easier access in painting some details on this Napoleonic figure. I have learned the hard way on that.

Best,

ScreenShot130905.jpg ScreenShot130906.jpg ScreenShot130907.jpg George
    Erbay and Oda like this.
  2. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'm sure someone will come up with full details for this figure.
    In the meantime, I came across a side view of this figure:-

VPB1011-2.jpg

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Babelfish likes this.
  3. George123 Member

Thanks Andrew,

That helps a lot as I wasn't sure where the red began and ended on the back.

And also that those two small things in the box are spurs.
  4. Fantomas A Fixture

Canada
    Général_WALTHER_(1761-1813)
    Général_WALTHER_(1761-1813).jpg
  5. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    I think that this figure is modelled on General Dorsenne.
  6. Nap Moderator

England

Agree there Richsrd

Here's som pics that might help George ( the actual uniforms are from a company called Empire Costumes )

Nap

image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg image.png image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
  7. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Good refs there Kev.
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Hopefully of use Richard

I reread it and Geordge has asked questions

1.cutting in gold buttons ....after painting using metallics or NMM I put a wash around buttons

2.gold color is probably closer to brass......a good painter to look at is Ivo Predo ( member here on PF )

3. Do painter dry-brushing technique for things like the gold/brass on the collar here?......personally I don't preferring colour placement to achieve effects

Hopefully others will also answer better !

Nap
    theBaron likes this.
  9. George123 Member

Thanks for the additional references.
  10. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I usually paint the gold areas in gloss black first, then the gold colour on top, if the details are complex and shallow mouldings then i use an army painter soft brush and 'buff' it onto the details.
  11. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good tip that Steve, I do the same with all metal colours (sometimes using matt black, depending). It gives you much better depth & dimension.

- Steve