1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!
  2. Submissions for November Figure of the Month (FOTM) are now open. Visit the FOTM forum to enter a model or see entries and vote! FOTM November

Painting my first Flat

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Guys!

Here is my first attempt at painting a flat. I got 3 flats from Frederic Rex, a German company headed by the great flat artist Konrad Schulte.

I am doing him in acrylics, it has been a lot of fun so far, it is pretty weird painting on a 2d surface instead of a 3d surface and I havent quite gotten the hang of it yet, but I am trying!

Here it is, any and all suggestions as how to make it better would be greatly appreciated as frankly I have no clue of what Im doing...but it sure is fun!

[IMG]
    [IMG]

And a general view of the piece so far.

[IMG]
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Anders,

Who i'm i to gave critism?? But i've seen this flat from Konrad. The only thing that i can say you are on the road.
    I think you must give more contrast. For instance, deeper shadows and more high-highlighs. For me it still looks like a flat. By bringing in more contrast it giving more depth.
    I hope that i beeing not to hard.

Marc
  3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Mark!

Thank you for your honest feed back! It is exactly what I need!

I too have seen Conny's flat...and it is a piece of art, I had the oppertunity to judge it in Atlanta so I spent quite some time marveling at it!

Where exactly do you think it needs more contrast? All over? Any areas that are decent?

I will post in a few minutes another update, did some work on the horse and I think I created the worlds first blue horse :lol:

Thanks again!
  4. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is some work on the horse, I think I have just created the first ever blue horse!

I see some areas that needs to be reworked such as the flank and the rear legs. Oh well, it is all good fun and a lot left to learn!

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Anders, I too hope to dip into the wonderful world of flats in the near future and will be watching this with interest (no pressure!)
    Best of luck mate ;)
    I've never done one before either, so my results will be interesting as well!
  6. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Flats are something I always wanted to try my hand at but never found the time. Not that i'm an expert but I think you're doing a great job.Well done Anders

Stephen Mallia
  7. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hello Anders
    Always they have been fascinated from the soldiers plates.
    As first I must say that enough beautiful
    aspect to see it complete.
    Good Paint

;) MAB
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!

I think that flats are a great way to have some fun. I find my self trying to turn the figure and paint the other sides! It is a little awkward to say the least to paint in a 2d mode instead of a 3d mode so to speak. The sad thing is that I cant paint on a flat piece of paper for nothing so I am pretty happy with how it is so far.

Try it, its very rewarding, and compared to a round 54mm it is a lot quicker to paint.

Will post some more progress once I get there!
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Anders,

thanks that you apreciate it. But on the second picture's it is looking better. My opinion again. Like i said, on the road but looking what direction you are going.
    May i suggest that you have bring out the highs at there best. It looks as you speak for yourself the nicest blueish horse ;) .
    That is good. Now mixing your black by yourself with blue in it. Then go to the darker side and start from the light to the dark. Then you see the blueish go away, and a nice blueblack is coming.
    I hope i have made it clear.
    Good luck, it will be a really great flat.

Marc
  10. Flatsy New Member

Hello Anders, Very nice job on a first flat. I am glad to see people giving them a try.
    I agree with marc van megroot, pushing the contrast is a good thing, even if you think it may be over doing it a bit. Also towards the end, try throwing a shadow here and there say under the reigns onto the neck of the horse. This makes for a dramatic flat, throwing shadows. This is the part I need to work on myself.
    Other than that suggestion, it really looks like you have grasped the concept pretty well. Can't wait to see more! -penmeyer
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys!!

The flat is about finished, some minor details left to do, hopefully I can get that done tomorrow and he will be my proud first flat!

I have to admit its been a heck of a lot of fun to paint, a lot different but a great learning experience. Hopefully I can take all of your great suggestions to heart when I paint the next one and plan it out more. When I started this one it was kind of on a whim, without really knowing anything about flats or how to go about it. Heck I even mounted it on the painting block with a screw...that may be a tad unorthodox, but I couldnt see another way to do it :)

Anyways, thanks again guys! Ill post pictures of the finished piece as soon as I get a chance to.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Anders,

I'm looking forward to the pictures. Hope it is what i expected. Another master piece out of your hand.

marc
  13. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Looking good so far, Anders. I'm glad you have found this fun. Isn't that what it's all about? Looking forward to the finished piece.