1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting metallics

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Sambaman, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    What are you crazy kids using for painting metallics these days? As most know, I've been out of figure painting for several years, so I hope to benefit from some of your current expertise and see if there are any new techniques for painting realistic metallics!

Thanks all!
    anstontyke likes this.
  2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Jay,
    Scale 75 has a great line of metalic paints sets, one silver and the other gold. They are available from the USA website of "Scale 75" They are water based and thin real well. Just remember that the scale 75 paints are sealed when you buy them and need to be pierced to open them. Their have been known to be disasters from squeezing to hard to get the paint to come out.????????
    Cheers
    John
    chailey and anstontyke like this.
  3. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Anything containing fine mica particles.. Heck, you can even make your own paint/s by mixing the particles with acrylic resin (use a mask).
    Printers inks will tarnish over time (if not covered by varnish) since they are real metal flakes.
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    If you are looking for some water-based acrylics metallic paints, the metallic paints from Scale75 or Vallejo Model Air series (not the Vallejo Model Color series) are very good from my personal experience. The particles are very fine and the finish is smooth. They can be applied using either airbrush or just brush without any problem.
    anstontyke and John Bowery like this.
  5. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Alclad!

My next project will involve silver plated Roman armour showing wear. Airbrush, washed and chipping.

May post as a work in progress.
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Alclad are great but need to be airbrushed. My recent faves are the Mr Metal range - water based acrylics but can be polished afterwards.
    Mike Fichtenmayer does some great tutorials (see Industria Mechanika site) on achieving old bronze effects with them.
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All I have been messing around with lots of different Metallics but cant find anything that will drybrush on to highlight steel or bronze etc without leaving sparkles all over the already finished parts of the figure leaving me with the additional task of tidying up almost every section to get rid of them, anyone got a system with no sparkles?
    TERRY
    anstontyke likes this.
  8. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Humbrol silver will do the trick Terry , dry brush with a very light touch , works well over the citadel metals
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. chailey Active Member

England
    Check out the 'Molten Metals' range from Darkstar miniatures, seen some superb results from these acrylics!

Steve
    lancer115 likes this.
  10. colonnello kurz Active Member

Australia
    Agama Metallics Paste,is wax based,thinn with alcool ,with a tiny drop you can cover a large area and when dry (dry very fast) you can polish