1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting Medieval Plate Armor

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by skeeterbuck, Jan 26, 2012.

1. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    I looking for opinions on the "correct" way the finish on plate armor should look.

From what I've be able to research, plate armor should have a polished steel look to it, hence the term "knight in shining armor".

Knights were highly trained professionals and the maintenance of their equipment would have been paramount concern. Also a suit of armor was also very expensive, indicating another reason for its well cared for appearence.

When I see figures that the armor areas appear to be painted black and then dry brushed with a steel color, it just looks wrong to me.

What do others here think?

Chuck
  2. Einion Well-Known Member

Usually, yes. Period illustrations do make it plain that armour was commonly a bright steel colour, and polished steel looked the same then as it does today.

Armour for high-ranking individuals could have various surface treatments applied on top of the polished steel, giving a glossy dark blue, russet or jet-black colour. Plus of course there was gilding. But "white armour" was the most common.

I agree, but the practical problems of accurately recreating the appearance of reflective metals aren't easy to overcome and that has a lot to do with some of the compromises.

Einion
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Chuck, depending on the subject, are you referring to non-fictional or fictional ?
  4. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    Gordy, just non-fictional, but thanks for clearing that up. I just assumed non-fictional and we all know what happens when you assume. :lol:

Chuck
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Just to help those who may be doing a Jean II Le Maingre or an Orc! ;)
  6. Jeff Active Member

United-States
    If you are dealing with a resin figure then there are many types of metal paints that can work printers inks can also be a good way to go.

If the figure in question is metal then you can simply polish the metal. You can get a very high shine by burnishing it with a very smooth metal tool. After polishing then you can go in to the joints and other areas and add shadows I find oil paint works well for this. You can also get very subtle aging effects by using oil paint. Steve Weekly is the master of this.
    You can see two of my figures one with the armor bright That is one of my very early figures so do not be too hard on me. This is Border Miniatures Richard III. The other is an English solider who I wanted to give the look of a man who had been in the field for a time. Both were polished metal kits. One with more oil paint to simulate wear and tear on the armor.

Armor can get flash rust on it over night and after a week or so it starts to become discolored no matter how much you polish it. I know because I sometimes wear it at events. There is one more effect that was used during the English Civil War and in the Renaissance but also in medieval times. That is blacking. Many armors were left black from the forge and were sometimes treated with various substances that turned the iron black this actually protected it form further rust. Browning was a similar process that allowed the armor to rust to a point. This was also helped along with various chemicals. Such as vinegar, and other similar substances. When the process was finished it might be coated with oil, fat or wax if you were rich to protect it from further rusting. Both of the above processes had the advantage of not making you as tempting a target for archers or hand gunners.

Attached Files:

ChaosCossack likes this.