1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Painting Maj. Gen. Cleburne

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jul 21, 2013.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I am starting a new WIP string for painting my 1/6 bust of Pat Cleburne, the Confederate general killed attacking the Union works at Franklin Tennessee in 1864. Cleburne was a massive loss to the Confederacy as he was one of its best fighting generals.

image.jpg

Sculpted in Sculpey firm and Magic sculpt. Will be painting him in acrylics and inks. Primed in Citadel skull white spray.

P1010018.JPG P1010020.JPG P1010025.JPG P1010029.JPG P1010022.JPG P1010026.JPG

Colin
  2. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking forward to your WIP Colin, this will be very interesting. Regards, SG:happy:
    crf likes this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    To sculpt and then paint your own busts and figures is the mark of a true artist Colin. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
    crf and Sturm Grenadier like this.
  4. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Colin, I forgot to ask you in my last post. Are you familiar with the painter John Paul Strain? His civil war paintings are unbelievable, showing great detail and authenticity. He has done a few with Gen. Cleburne. His Guns Of The West portrait shows Forrest, Cleburne, and Granbury, at Spring Hill Tennessee, on Nov.29,1864, and it is excellent. His site is at http://www.johnpaulstrain.com/ Regards, SG:happy:
    billyturnip and crf like this.
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    OK Colin

Pitter-patter-let's- get-at-'er!

I am dying to watch this develope with colour. You have developed a distinctive style to your painting that I personally quite enjoy. I find you develope depth with shading instead of the current trend towards exaggerated highlighting. I find that depth through shadow is more natural... but that's my own opinion ;)

Carry on

Colin
    crf likes this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks guys and thanks for the perspective Colin. And thanks for alerting me to Mr Strain SG. I had not been aware of his work before, although I may have seen one or two of his pieces without knowing the artist. The two paintings I saw in his catalogue with Cleburne are very well done. I really like his use of light and colour and his portraits look to be well researched and accurate.

One of the reasons I decided on Cleburne rather than a better known ACW general was a jigsaw puzzle I bought quite a few years ago. It showed a mounted Cleburne about to launch his division into the hopeless action at Franklin. The Rick Reeves painting that formed the basis of the puzzle was called "Twilight of an Army." Its amazing how artistic inspiration is seeded.

twltarm.jpg

Colin
    Sturm Grenadier likes this.
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Colin,
    The sculpting is really well done.......your best to date?
    I love your handling of the cuff detail, truely awesome.
    Great work Mate looking forward to the colouring in.
    All the best,
    Keith
    Don and crf like this.
  8. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Colin excellent sculpting and looking forward to seeing him painted. Just back from visiting Franklin and coincidentally I bought the book you mentioned "Stonewall of the West" an interesting character and a great place to visit .

Cheers Ken
    crf likes this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Keith - yes I think this is my best so far and I learned a lot, including lots I would do differently next time; which is as it should be.

Thanks to you too Ken. I envy you getting to Franklin although I understand that a lot of the battlefield is gone. The preservationists are making inroads though and they have bought a property formerly occupied by Pizzahut where Cleburne was killed (?) I will get there soon I hope. Can't wait to see Carnton. Franklin is a long way from Cheshire!

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  10. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great sculpt and subject matter.
    Gordon
    crf likes this.
  11. Don Well-Known Member

lovely stuff Colin, your bust is a cracker and then to prime and paint it. The work of a true artist.
    Cant wait to see your finished results.

Don
    crf likes this.
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    Eagerly waiting on the sidelines for some colour, good luck with this one.
    cheers
    Richie
    crf likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Starting his face and eyes. Base is Liquitex Pro Deep Portrait Pink. First shadows are Vallejos. Eyes are Liquitex.

face3.jpg face2.jpg

Colin
    tiberius57 and ChaosCossack like this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Added some Liquitex raw umber ink to pick out shadows.

face 6.jpg face 7.jpg face 8.jpg

Colin
    tiberius57, SPrimeau and ChaosCossack like this.
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Blended the undercoat of Liquitex a bit more. a
    Added some Vallejos fairly roughly - sunny skintone + basic skin tone + old rose. Undercoated his hair and facial hair. Lots more to do but it's starting to look like a model.

face 10.jpg face 11.jpg face 12.jpg

I dropped him and broke his sword .....knew that would happen. Just saw from the pix that I damaged his kepi too. The perils of working on large heavy pieces.

Colin
  16. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Well on the way Colin. Always a challenge to do a character piece.
    I just can't get my head round acrylics particularly on a bust, they just don't give me anywhere to hide.
    Oils Rule
    Looking forward to further progress
    Cheers
    Derek
    crf and Wings5797 like this.
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    As always, great brush skills Colin.
    Sorry to hear about the breakages but welcome to my world of make break and re make.
    Brilliant work Mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  18. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    No worries, my friend! You are not the only one. Happens to me all the time, specially when is done. One of the Murphy laws, I guess.
    Nice work, so far! Will follow step by step!
    Cheers mate!
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Looks really good.
    Maybe you should hit the gym once in a while ;):ROFLMAO:

Colin
    crf and Wings5797 like this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Added some Liquitex inks and some more shading.

face 14.jpg face 15.jpg face 16.jpg

Colin
    ChaosCossack and Wings5797 like this.