1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Painting horse hair: how is it done?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by rossbach, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Tommy Brown Active Member

Here is an article on painting horse by Rodrigo Hernandez Chacon from the book euro Modelismo Painting: Overhead Lighting.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Oda likes this.
  3. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    And thanks for the vid's Tommy!(y)
    Oda likes this.
  4. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Recent replies demonstrate the vale of re-asking a question.
    Let's face it, sometimes the replies you get back can be either rubbish or non-existent.
    Plus other people get to join in.
    Well worthwhile asking again mate.
    rossbach likes this.
  5. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Just found this topic

If the horse has not been clipped you will see hair. If it has the hair will be very short or not there at all and you will not see it.

I've attached a picture of the head of my pal Chester, a very large Irish Draught horse I ride taken last week.

His coat has just started to grow and in a few weeks he will be quite shaggy for the winter in which case you will see the hair even from a distance.

I think if you want to be accurate you have to find out if the horse is clipped and in what way, i.e. Leave the legs hairy. Horses that are very active will be clipped to avoid overheating and ease of washing sweat off and drying after gallop.

So to summarise. Summer horse very short hair. Winter horse long hair. Cavalry horse if clipped no hair.

Attached Files:

6. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Old topic I know

I just took a few photos of an unclipped horse I ride regularly in his summer coat. IMG_0559.JPG IMG_0551.JPG IMG_0557.JPG

You decide if it's worth painting the hairs or not!
    rossbach, OldTaff and Tommy Brown like this.
  7. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The late Eugene Leliepvre once published a highly useful article about painting horses in the early Historex catalogues. Very
    comprehensive and most fascinating, amonst other things he emphasised the importance of following the direction of the actual
    hair growth. He also showed areas about the horse where the hair is thin and its subsequent effect on the perceived colour. I follow
    his techniques still and find them most satisfactory. Personally, I agree with those who don't feel it appropriate to enhance the texture
    of the horse's coat, but don't let's split hairs ....
    rossbach, OldTaff and martin tabony like this.
  8. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    @ Fogie: I know that article but I can't find my old Historex catalogue!
  9. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I can send you a scan if you like
    rossbach likes this.
  10. rossbach PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Obliged Fogie! I am going to give it a last shot: there's a big pile of paper in the shed. Might be somewhere in there.

If it isn't I'll gladly accept you offer for a scan.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Be good to have it on this thread as well I know the article but like Rossbach ..can I find it ...no!!

Nap
  12. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just sent off a set to Martin (don't know if they turned up because I'm a bit of a techno idiot) but I'll
    gladly post them here too. Here goes ...

horses 1.jpg horses 2.jpg horses 3.jpg horses 4.jpg horses 5.jpg horses 6.jpg horses 7.jpg horses 8.jpg horses 9.jpg horses10.jpg
    Bob Orr, rossbach, balder and 6 others like this.
  13. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I'm not too sure of the drawing about the direction of horse hair. The pictures of Chester are high enough resolution to see individual hairs. Chester is a ten year old Irish Draught and is typical of a heavy cavalry horse.

IMG_0566.JPG

Merlin above has a shorter summer coat.

With grey horses I would avoid putting too much grey/black on turn. They are born almost black and fade with age. A young cavalry horse would have dark legs and some drooling on the body. By the age of ten most are generally " white" .

I think the best idea is to find a horse. Take pictures and copy.
    rossbach and napoleonpeart like this.
  14. Red Five Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    IMG_8530.JPG IMG_8703.JPG

Some pictures of Andalusian greys. Probably about 8-10 years old.
    rossbach and napoleonpeart like this.
  15. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    Add "stripe" extends down from "star" and "snip" extends over end of muzzle, to face markings.
    "Pie" means black and white as in Magpie. Piebald is black and white. Skewbald is brown and white.
    "Coin marks" are dappling on non greys.
    "Stifle" the most ticklish part of a horse. Almost guaranteed a kick! :)
    rossbach and mick3272 like this.
  16. mick3272 A Fixture

Add Horse with his P J on.
    [IMG]

Mick :whistle: :D
  17. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    rossbach and mick3272 like this.
  18. jai A Fixture

Italy

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
    rossbach likes this.
  19. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Whatever our choice of reference material, the hard part remains ... how do we render a two dimensional beautifully
    lit and pin sharp photo into a three dimensional miniature scale model horse. If we match the colours on our picture
    and apply them to our model, those colours will be too intense and inevitably look completely wrong. We have to 'scale'
    them down as it were. As I said - that's the hard bit.

If we choose to 'texture' the horse coat as well, then after mastering the difficult part we must painstakingly overpaint
    ultra thin individual hairs. If this is the way you want to go, the only thing I can recommend apart from some Valium
    is an old trick I learnt a lifetime ago. Fine pointed brushes, say No.1's with enough bristle length to make a decent reservoir
    for carrying the paint, come with a plastic tube cover as a guard. Snip off a bit of it - enough to allow the brush tip to poke
    out - and this will prevent the brush hairs from bending too much as you work and allow you to control the thickness of
    your paint line more easily. I don't use it for horses, instead it's something I do for painting the central coloured line on
    British Napoleonic Infantry lacing
    rossbach and Manfred like this.
  20. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not a fan of this technique , but it is a skill just like painting fabric on a garment in 54 mm .
    At one time a long time ago i remember even adding shadows and highlights was considered over the top :D
    rossbach and martin tabony like this.