1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Painting Henning v. Tresckow

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    image.jpg

I am starting a new WIP string to document painting von Tresckow. For anyone interested in the history, you can check out the previous sculpting string and this YouTube video, part of a pretty good TV series on Hitler's Bodyguard, which doubles as a history of the various plots and conspiracies against Hitler. The relevant part starts at 31:40.

I will be painting him in acrylics and inks, as usual.

Colin
    DEL, ChaosCossack and Aveleira like this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Undercoat, a bit of shading and starting his eyes. Shot with the iPad. Nice thing about shooting and posting pix is that you see errors early. After looking at this photo, I cut the top of the right eye with paint to balance it out with the left. The lip looks imbalanced but that is just clumsy shading that I will fix later.

Colin

image.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    A bit more prep of the base coat.

Colin

image.jpg
  4. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Nice! Very nice start, Colin!
    Following closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  6. John Ballard Well-Known Member

Very nice start Colin. Is this all acrylic or oils or both?
    John
    crf likes this.
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    He's coming out nicely Colin (y)!

Joe
    crf likes this.
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great start Colin!
    Your style of painting fleshtones has become instantly recognizable. Rather than simply jumping on the current trends you have developed your own techniques and in turn have created a style that's become your's... this way, even when you do a popular commercial piece, it is always unique, with your own personal signature.

Looking forward to seeing this guy develope

Colin
  9. swralph A Fixture

Looking good(y)
    crf likes this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    This morning's progress. Just acrylics so far. No inks added yet. Poor quality photos with the iPad.

Colin

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    John - I sometimes paint in oil but rarely blend oil and water based media on one piece. Tis one is acrylic and it will have water based inks too.

Cheers

Colin
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Added some inks.

Colin

t1.jpg
    t2.jpg
    pmfs, Tarracus, pokrad and 4 others like this.
  13. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Looks better and better! What ink/water ratio did you used?
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Zeno...for washes over established large areas of flesh...about 5 parts water to one part ink. For wrinkles and creases....about 3 to 1.

Colin
    tiberius57 likes this.
  15. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Colin! Much appreciated!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  16. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Colin, You really have those inks down to a fine art, they really make a big difference in your facial color tones. The eyes also look fantastic. Enjoying watching this develop Colin, best of luck the rest of the way. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
    crf likes this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin ,

I really enjoy your WIP's and especially your flesh painting ..this is so your style and it really is working ..he is coming to life ...great sculpt as well ...and I like the collar insignia ..nice details .

I am sure I have asked before but can you share you Acrylics mix for the flesh

Eyes ...well so lifelike with catchlights will really come to life ...will you put any thing over them ie satin varnish ?

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Nap and thanks for the kind words. It's pretty hard to reconstruct my flesh mix as I use a lot of Vallejo colours, both model and game colour. Here's a shot of the flesh paints used, often mixed. Browns were also mixed in.

image.jpg

But I start with a base of brown rose and then mix it with sunny skintone to avoid too pink a shade. As I paint I compare the skin tone to my hand. I learned to paint flesh with the oil painter's mantra "avoid pumpkin head" echoing in my ears. If I get the flesh too pink, I wash it with diluted burnt sienna ink. I like flesh to include reds, purples, blues and greens and these are all added with heavily diluted inks (stained rather than painted). I did not paint in catch lights and may not. After I dull coat him I will do the metals, metallic ink and gloss on the eyes.

Oh yes, it's critical when painting German Resistance personalities to have a blue ray of "Valkyrie" playing in the room. :)

Colin
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Face not finished yet but I have also started the uniform. Using Andrea's field grey set, which I quite like, but adding some light flesh to the highest highlight to get a wider range of transitions.

image.jpg image.jpg

Colin
    Sturm Grenadier and Tarracus like this.
  20. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wow,that is a superbly painted face,brilliant work (y)